Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-aw065sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I inserted a DVD movie into the drive but nothing happened. I looked in file explorer and could see it there. but I do not know how to play it on my laptop.

I run the latest Windows 10 (anniversary version)

I had a quick look in youtube and they suggested loading VLD media player (free).

I was about to download this when my Macafee security software gave me a warning that it was not safe. so I aborted the download.

Any ideas how I can watch a movie?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@jeanniepie wrote:

I inserted a DVD movie into the drive but nothing happened. I looked in file explorer and could see it there. but I do not know how to play it on my laptop.

I had a quick look in youtube and they suggested loading VLD media player (free).

I was about to download this when my Macafee security software gave me a warning that it was not safe. so I aborted the download.

Hi,

I had a quick look in youtube and they suggested loading VLD media player (free). When you mentioned VLD? Is it VLC? Did you downloaded the app here? www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html. VLC media player is an open source application and a safe file. Though you need to read carefully during the installation because it could be bundled with a trojan. During the installation and it prompted you "Do you want to install Ask.com or Amazon wanted to be the default browser? Just skip it and continue with the normal installation. Nothing will happen if you read the instructions carefully.

Ive been using VLC for many years now and the is simply the best. You could even download a video using VLC via youtube. Your antivirus is simply detecting it as a false positive detection.

"Education costs money; so does Ignorance"

If my post has helped you, click the Kudos Thumbs up!
If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@jeanniepie wrote:

Hi,

I had a quick look in youtube and they suggested loading VLD media player (free). When you mentioned VLD? Is it VLC? Did you downloaded the app here? www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html. VLC media player is an open source application and a safe file. Though you need to read carefully during the installation because it could be bundled with a trojan. During the installation and it prompted you "Do you want to install Ask.com or Amazon wanted to be the default browser? Just skip it and continue with the normal installation. Nothing will happen if you read the instructions carefully.

Ive been using VLC for many years now and the is simply the best. You could even download a video using VLC via youtube. Your antivirus is simply detecting it as a false positive detection.

"Education costs money; so does Ignorance"

If my post has helped you, click the Kudos Thumbs up!
If it solved your issue, Click the "Accept as Solution" button so others can benefit from the question you asked!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.