Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 16 inch 2-in-1 Laptop PC 16-aa0000 (7M3L2AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

Hi - Hoping someone can help

purchased new HP X360 Spectre Laptop last week. Unfortunately have an issue with durability / robustness of the laptop plastic case in the palm print area. I accidentally spilt some upholstery cleaning gel on the plastic case. After wiping away there is a large patch where the colour of the plastic has lightened in shade and stands out like a sore thumb. I’ve discussed with HP support and they say the damage will cost £314 to repair. I’m very disappointed that the surface is not durable or robust enough to prevent staining. My old HP laptop and all other plastic items in the house including phones, TV remotes etc are made from durable plastic materials which have never stained. Surely HP have not ensured this surface finish is suitable for everyday use and the occasional contact with regularly used household cleaning products. Would welcome your thoughts

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Spilling any liquids on laptops is likely to cause very serious damage -- this is common knowledge, and perhaps why HP has not bothered to design a surface or finish that stands up to liquid spills.

You can not get anything replaced under warranty because this is considered "accidental damage" and is excluded from warranty coverage.

While I understand your disappointment, there is nothing you or we can do about this.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

The same fabric cleaning gel does not affect any surface on my old HP laptop or any other plastic household items such as TV remotes, mobile and landline phones. The issue with my new laptop is that the surface finish is not as robust or durable as it could be. It appears that the finish is some kind coating on top of the injected moulded case. I guess this allows HP to change the appearance to offer different colours to the customer. There are finish coatings that would withstand staining from most household cleaning products. I have a number of coated plastic parts that do this. What I can't understand is that a brand new latest model laptop is being sold now which has an inferior coating regarding robustness and durability compared to my 6 year old laptop which is blemish free, withstands staining and still looks like new!

HP Recommended

Hi @eltommys,

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query. I will be glad to assist you.

I see that there is an issue with the laptop hardware and may need repair or escalation.

The support here is limited to troubleshooting and this issue might require one-on-one interaction to assist you further.

I've sent you a private message with the instructions. In order to access your private messages, Click the Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Community profile Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link

Take care and have a good day.

Irwin6

HP Support

Irwin6
I am an HP Employee

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.