Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion TouchSmart 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Windows update recently and now my touchscreen only right clicks. I have tried to figure out how to swap it back to how it was without doing a system restore because the update will have to be done again anyway. 

Anybody know how to fix this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Deolvroo

Thank you for replying,

If the issue was temporarily fixed but has re-occurred and it's happing on chrome,

I recommend contacting the chrome support for further assistance as it's more or less an issue with the settings that's either updating on its own or a shortcut key that's changing the options,

let me know if there's anything else i may help you with,

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@Deolvroo

Thanks for showing your interest in the HP Forums,

I’d like to help.

As I understand the touch screen is malfunctioning and you want a permanent fix for the same, 

I will need a few details to provide an accurate solution:

When was the last time it had been working fine?

Which updates were installed, was it only windows or BIOS as well ?

Could you reply back with all the steps you have performed so far, so we don't repeat any step?

Eagerly waiting to help!

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hey, 

Thanks for responding. 

There was a Windows 10 update last week and the problem seems to have started after this. My laptop had always been working fine.

I am not sure where to go to check settings and the only thing I have been able to find is a Touchscreen Calibration, which I did. I have rebooted a few times too but touchscreen still only does right-clicking everytime I point at something. 

HP Recommended

@Deolvroo

Thanks for replying to my post

Please follow the steps below to find a resolution:

• The Windows troubleshooting tool could be the quick and easy fix to any problem with your touchscreen.
    Do a system search for troubleshooting and select the relevant result. In the new window, clickView all from the left-hand menu. From the list that appears, click Hardware and Devices.
    Click Next and run the wizard through. The tool will automatically detect issues and then repair them. However, it’s by no means comprehensive and you may need to carry on reading.
  • Calibrate the Touchscreen (Skip, since you've done it already)

• Disable and Re-enable the Touchscreen
    Press CTRL + X and select Device ManagerLeft click the arrow next to Human Interface Devices to open the dropdown. 
    Right click the listing for HID-compliant touch screen and select Disable.
    You’ll be asked to confirm this, so click Yes.

• Update the Drivers
    right click the HID-compliant touch screen and select Update Driver Software
    Search automatically for updated driver software.

• Rollback the Drivers
    in Device Manager, right click the HID-compliant touch screen and then selectProperties. Then switch to the Driver tab and select Roll Back Driver.

For further assistance, you may also use this link

If you are able to reach some resolution, please click on Accept Solution to help others with similar issues.
If you appreciate my assistance, please click on the thumbs up icon.
Both icons are below this post.

Have a good day, Ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the information. 

I followed all of the steps apart from the roll back as the roll back button is greyed out in device manager. 

The touchscreen works and seems to be okay in Word now but on websites it won't scroll up or down, stil right clicks when I single tap and won't resize the page either. Tapping on any links doesn't work. 

Not sure what else to do....

HP Recommended

@Deolvroo

Thank you for replying to my post!

I'm glad it's working on the Word application and don't worry we should be able to work together to resolve the issue with the websites as well,

If it's working fine on the word that confirms that it's not a hardware failure, hence you could either Reset the browser you are using or try using an alternate browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla firefox, etc..

If you are able to reach some resolution, please click on Accept Solution to help others with similar issues.
If you appreciate my assistance, please click on the thumbs up icon.
Both icons are below this post.

Have a good day, Ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

You're a very patient support person. Thanks :generic:

I have tried Edge now and it seems to work okay. So the issue is with Chrome....

Not a big fan of Edge. Hope you have a fix for Chrome. 

HP Recommended

@Deolvroo

Thank you, although, that wouldn't have been possible without your patience 🙂 

I appreciate the fact that you've tried an alternate browser and it works, although, if you prefer chrome over other browsers, you might want to contact the google chrome support for further assistance.

The only other step I can suggest though is to reset the chrome browser and here's how you do it:

1. On your computer, open Chrome.

2. At the top right, click More Settings.

3. At the bottom, click Show advanced settings.

4. Under the section "Reset settings,” click Reset settings.

5. In the box that appears, click Reset.

for more details, Click here

If the information I've provided was helpful,
give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and Thumbs up buttons,
that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!
Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I reset Chrome and it worked ok for a while but it is now doing what it did before.

Won't scroll or click on links with the touchscreen (only right clicks).

Trouchscreen works fine in Edge (ugh) and all other applications.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@Deolvroo

Thank you for replying,

If the issue was temporarily fixed but has re-occurred and it's happing on chrome,

I recommend contacting the chrome support for further assistance as it's more or less an issue with the settings that's either updating on its own or a shortcut key that's changing the options,

let me know if there's anything else i may help you with,

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.