Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
OMEN 17" 4k - x7n79av
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

just got the laptop in and have noticed that once or twice every 10 mins the screen with quickly flash black (with thin white lines) and then go back to normal. frustrating since i spend 1450 on in.  It looks normal when i move the screen on the hindges nothing weird happens.

If anyone has any ideas let me know. I HAVE to have a  laptop for work so RMAing is a huge pain but will return if need be. Also a decent amount of lightbleed on the screen but i think thats another issue. 

Thanks for the help in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @soapman88,

I reviewed your brilliant troubleshooting and extensive research done here. I was out of office for a couple of days and reviewed the entire situation. It looks like an issue with the display. I would suggest that you either contact HP phone support to get the PC serviced or return the printer if it is within a 30-day return window and has been purchased directly from HP.

I read the post.  Thanks for the reply. Brilliant effort and great troubleshooting. Hats off you for that. 🙂 

The HP shopping link to is http://store.hp.com  if you plan to return the computer. Remember It can be done if it has been purchased directly from HP.

Trust me I've done all I can to assist you by keeping your best interest in mind. You've been commendable and it has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

I genuinely hope the computer works great and stays healthy for a long time once it gets fixed. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

You take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi @soapman88,

Thank you for stopping by the HP forums.  A Good day to you.” 🙂 I read the post about the screen flashing black every few minutes. It will be a pleasure to assist you. 🙂

A Stupendous effort, brilliant description and very smart diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you on that score. 🙂  You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount to assist you here. I also take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

First off, we need to isolate the issue to correctly to being hardware or software related.

For better clarity and to assist you better, I would require more information regarding this.

• Did straight out of the box or after a software or windows update? Do you remember?
  • Did you connect it to an external screen such as a TV using an HDMI cable?

Please check in the bios if it flashes black to isolate the issue further. Steps to go to bios:

• Then please go to the bios page and load bios defaults.
  • To do this, please keep tapping the Esc key gently several times as soon as you power on the computer.
  • It takes you to the startup menu.
  • Then press the F10 key to go the bios.

Then check if it flashes in the bios. If it does then the issue is hardware related and the unit has to be serviced or returned. If it does not then please try these steps:

• Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand display adapters>then select the display drivers that are listed and right-click on it and uninstall the drivers.
  • Check the box that states delete the software for this device.

Then restart the computer and update the bios chipset and graphic drivers from this link: http://hp.com/drivers please select the country and type the product# of the unit.  Then follow the on-screen instructions. This should do the trick for you if the issue is not software related. Please keep me posted. I will keep a watch for your reply.

If the display blanks in the bios, and if you purchased the computer directly from HP then you get a 30-day return window to do it. Otherwise, you could contact HP phone support via this link: http://hp.com/contacthp and follow the on-screen instructions to get the unit serviced. Also if the light bleed persists even after updating the graphics drivers, then the issue could be hardware related.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, so i reinstalled the video drivers after some research and performed a clean install. Seems to be working better now i wanna give it a few days and then i will post back. Thanks for the reply i appreciate it!

HP Recommended

Hi @soapman88,

I reviewed the post comprehensively. I am glad that the issue is kind of resolved and the computer is working better.

You've been simply fabulous to work with, considering your technical expertise and exhaustive technical skills. 🙂  It has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂 Trust me, I've done all I can to assist you, by keeping your best interest in mind. 🙂

I honestly hope the computer works great and stays healthy for a long time to come. 🙂

To simply say thanksplease click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

You take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, it is doing it again this morning. when i get home tonight i will continue the the guidelines above.

Thanks for the help so far!

HP Recommended

@soapman88

You're welcome. 🙂

As @DavidSMP is out of the office today, I'm replying to you. I have read your post and understand that your HP Omen laptop has display issues. I read that the screen flash black (with thin white lines). Last time the issue got fixed after you reinstalled the video drivers after some and performed a clean install. Fabulous analysis. Spectacular diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that.

I suggest you to run a hardware test on the video by following the below steps:

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.

• The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.

HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI screen

• Select Component tests.

List of the Component tests

• Please initiate a video test. 

Video - This test includes 3 tests of the video hardware on your computer. Select one of the following tests, then click Run Once.

• Video Memory Fast Check - 3 minute video memory test

• Video Memory Check - 20 minute memory test

• Palette Check - 1 minute test of the three video color components. Follow the on-screen instructions during the test.

If the video test fails then I recommend you to contact HP phone support to explore the hardware service options for your HP laptop. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hello, i just did all the stuff above and it has passed all of the tests.

It has started this since out of the box and seems to do it only when i first boot up the laptop one or two times sometimes three, seems really random as it dosent happen over certain apps or games, and there is no static time between.

HP Recommended

@soapman88

Glad to know that hardware tests have passed. The evidence indicates towards the Windows operating system. Let's perform a Windows refresh (repair). This will not delete your data. 

Please refer to the steps from this link to perform a Windows refresh: http://hp.care/2e7EE00

NOTE: Though the links provides steps for Win8, the steps will work for Win10 too.

Let me know the results. Good luck!

HP Recommended

ok will do, still having the issue this morning. I cannot find a windows refresh only a reset that (even when choose to keep my programs and apps) wants to delete them. Am i missing something?

Thanks

HP Recommended

@soapman88

The link provides an option to perform a refresh either from the startup by hitting the F11 key (even before Windows loads) or by doing it from the Windows desktop screen. Let me know if you have tried both methods.

If only the reset option is available in both ways then I'm afraid you will have to backup your important data and reset the laptop to its original factory condition. Let me know. Cheers! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.