Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
IQ804
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

HI,

I have an IQ804 Touchsmart system on which Windows 7-64 was clean installed.

I am not intrested in touchscreen part of the system. But I would really like to turn off the beeping that happens when a cat decides to curl up next to the screen. 

I would really appreciate any suggested solutions.

TIA.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@fw_man

Welcome to the HP Forums,
I hope you're well 🙂

As I understand the touchscreen creates an annoying beep sound disturbing the cat curled up next to your screen 😉
don't worry, though, as I have a few steps that should resolve your concern:

Although, just to clarify: does the touchscreen still work? and since you don't care much for it, is it safe to assume you don't use the touchscreen?

That said, If you wish to disable the touchscreen and go on with your life, follow the below steps:

1. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
  2. Expand the Human Interface Devices heading.
  3. The touch screen device is labeled HID-compliant touch screen, or similar. Right-click the touch screen device.
  4. If the option to enable the device is included in the menu, click Disable

Keep me posted for further assistance,

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck..

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Riddle_Decipher,

Thank you for trying to help 🙂

No, touch screen does not work, but that is because I had uninstalled whatever looked like an HP touch screen app. I did not want touch screen to react to touch 🙂

But this beeping is still there. It was there when touch did work.

I went into Device Manager and the only thing that was even close to HID touch screen in HID category was NextWindow multi-touch device. I disabled that, but no help. Still beeping when touched.

I have recovery disks that I made a long time ago, and I tried booting to Recovery Manager, but I could not find an option to just restore HP touch related functionality. I don't want to do a full restore.

Unless you have other bright ideas (which I welcome), I am ready for a HW solution, i.e. clipping the two red wires going to the MB mounted PC beeper. 🙂

SW solution is still obviously preferred. TIA!

HP Recommended

@fw_man

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

We wouldn't have to get as far as using the wire clippers, (as that isn't recommended by HP) 😉

It wasn't easy but I've done an extensive research and I've collated all the steps that had helped other users in resolving similar issues for you,

Please follow the below steps to resolve this concern:

Step 1: Performing a power reset if your computer does not start:

1. Disconnect all peripheral devices such as printers, USB storage devices, and media cards.

2. Disconnect the power cord from the computer.

3. Press and hold the power button for at least 15 seconds until the power LED on the power supply is off.

4. Reconnect the power cord, and press the Power button.

5. Listen for sounds of drives and fans turning.

Step 2: disabling the hardware sounds for Touchscreen interface:

1. To access the HP TouchSmart screen settings, you want to right-click on what was formerly known as the Start button (Microsoft Windows 7) in the bottom left corner (now a hot corner in Microsoft Windows 8), which allows you to switch between the Desktop and Start Screen. Right clicking brings up a context menu with wide array of options. The Control Panel is the fifth from the bottom.
  2. Click (or double-tap) Control PanelHardware and Sound, and then HP Touch Screen Configuration.
  3. The HP Touch Screen Configuration window opens to the Global Settings tab, where the Touch Screen and Touch Screen sound features are Enabled/Disabled.

Step 3: Use this link to access the BIOS and set it back to defaults: Click here (this does not affect your personal data) - also check if the touch works in BIOS (if it doesn't, please contact HP as its a hardware issue)

Step 4: Click here to calibrate your touchscreen as it seems to have others fix this issue.

Step 5: would be the last resort A.K.A the recovery to restore your windows to factory defaults (affecting your data, be sure to backup first).

If the issue persists, Contact HP to set up a hardware service setup (free of charge if the PC is under warranty):

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

Mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher,

Thanks for trying to help!

Step #2 would be the most appropriate, if I had the HP Touch Screen Configuration. But I don't!

If you could enlighten me which piece of downloadable SW this is, then I would be all set.

The rest of the steps don't really apply.

Best regards

HP Recommended

@fw_man

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I'm confused, I thought you mentioned that the "Touchscreen isn't working and the computer beeps with every touch" and now you've mentioned that you don't have a "Touch screen configuration"?

Are you referring to the touchscreen "drivers" as configuration? if yes, you could always go to the Official HP website and download the latest chipset and video card drivers to restore touchscreen interface.

The rest of the steps I've mentioned would help you isolate the issue, as a matter of fact, if you've already entered BIOS by tapping on F10 during restart and confirmed that the touch doesn't respond on BIOS as well, it confirms a hardware failure and the only way to fix the issue is to Contact HP to have the computer repaired.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

Mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I do have a touch enabled PC IQ804. Windows 7 clean installed.

I can't find touch drivers on HP website for this machine. Not there.

Which is why I am saying I don't have a piece of SW that would provide "HP Touch Screen Configuration" when I attempt Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> HP Touch Screen Configuration.

It just does not show up in the above sequence. If it did, there would be a select box to turn off the touch sound.

My touch is not working because:

1. I am not interested in touch (I don't want screen to react to touch)

2. I uninstalled all HP touch related programs (via Control panel), because I wanted to disable touch. That was foolish in hind sight, but this is where I am.

What I am really trying to do is turn off the touch beep. Computer beeps when screen is touched even though nothing else happens (mouse pointer does not move).

The computer is way too old to give it to HP for repair.

So, If you have a way of getting IQ804 touch screen drivers for me, that would be GREAT!

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

@fw_man

Thank you for the details,

I reviewed both your latest and the recent post only to determine that we were on the same page, throughout the conversation with a few links missing to your driver page,

Nevertheless, here is the Official HP Website for drivers and I would request you to Click here and download
Every driver and software you see with the word "Touch" to restore the settings and then using the same to disable the touch using the steps I recommended on my first reply to your post.

Under Driver-Display / Monitor: NextWindow Multi-Touch Device Driver Update

Under Software: HP TouchSmart Netflix Update

Under  Operating System-Enhancements and QFE: HP Devices and Printers Update

Everything that starts with or contains Touchsmart under Software-Solutions

Remember, if this doesn't work, you will need to reinstall the windows to factory defaults in order to restore original OS and easily make changes to the touch response,

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.