Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Chromebook 14
Chrome OS

I purchased a HP Chromebook 14 for my daughter in October 2016. To say the least, we are extremely disappointed.  Basically it feels like you cannot do anything with that laptop.

The main issue is my daughter chose that laptop to be able to download apps, mainly games like Minecraft, or apps such as skype or Musically...

Well, none of that seems to be possible... 

When you click on install, it gives you the  following message:" You haven't accessed the Google Play Store (the white shopping bag icon) on your device with this email account."

I am reading that HP Chromebooks don't work with android apps yet but if that's the case when will they fix this issue?

Can anybody help us?

Thank you very much.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Jaboke wrote:

I purchased a HP Chromebook 14 for my daughter in October 2016. To say the least, we are extremely disappointed.  Basically it feels like you cannot do anything with that laptop.

The main issue is my daughter chose that laptop to be able to download apps, mainly games like Minecraft, or apps such as skype or Musically...

Well, none of that seems to be possible... 

When you click on install, it gives you the  following message:" You haven't accessed the Google Play Store (the white shopping bag icon) on your device with this email account."

I am reading that HP Chromebooks don't work with android apps yet but if that's the case when will they fix this issue?

Can anybody help us?

Thank you very much.

Please follow the instructions in this link for resolving Error: You haven't accessed the Google Play Store app on your device with this email account

You will need to be signed into the Google Play store before being able to download/install Google Play apps.

HP Recommended

Your problem is not HP related.

Chromebooks use ChromeOS - an operating system designed to be a web appliance. THey are less expensive because they don't need the extra hardware to store games and such... everything is done on the Internet. ChromeOS is owned by Google for which you can download apps and games only for that OS - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/app/3-games?utm_campaign=en&utm_source=en-et-na-us-oc-we...

If you operating system was Android, which coincidentally is now also owned by Google, as comes on many types of phones and tablets, you would go to the Android store to install and play apps.

If you had Windows 10, you would go Microsoft store or download from PC compatible sites...if you had an Apple iPhone or tablet, you would go to iTunes store to get stuff.

The apps and store need to match the operating system on the device. It's not HP, it's the type of computer you purchased.

I am an HP employee expressing my own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
HP Recommended

its unfortunate that i to am in the same situation. i have been battling with how to make this expierence for my kids more favorable. the task of trying to download anything on this chromebook has been unsuccessful. due to this terrrible expierence i am on my way to return both chrome books from HP aswell as the printer. Im going to just dig deeper into my pockets and obtain an Apple laptop..Thanks for the painful expierence. Done with HP

HP Recommended
I know this an old thread but some information must be updated or corrected here.
Chrome OS does support Android apps for a selected number of devices as well as some apps are and some aren't (the same way goes for apps running on Android smartphone and tablets, while some app might only available for specific devices, exemple whatsapp is available for smartphones but not for tablets). You can get more information about Android apps and Chrome OS here: https://sites.google.com/a/chromium.org/dev/chromium-os/chrome-os-systems-supporting-android-apps
Secondly I read somewhere on this thread that "android is coincidentally now also owned by Google", I don't know where the information comes from but this totally misleading as Android was developed by a consortium under the notable input (the biggest beneficiary in fact), lead and almost dictatorship of Google and that from the very beginning. So claiming the coincidence is nowhere near of true.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.