Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi.

This is the 2nd time this happened. One time, an online agent was able to fix the problem. I recently did a BIOS update and after the update, my notebook won't detect my 2nd external monitor. I tried updating the graphics card manually but to no avail. Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

I did resolve the issue by manual recovery of the BIOS. 

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello @Art18,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand that your HP Envy Notebook is not detecting your second monitor after updating the BIOS. 

How are you trying to connect the screen to the notebook?

Start with a hard reset. Once the notebook is back on, try the steps in these documents so the second screen will be detected.

HP Notebook PCs - Connecting a Monitor, Projector, or TV (Windows 10, 😎

HP Notebook PCs - Green Screen and Other Video Playback Issues (Windows 10)

I look forward to the result of the troubleshooting from these documents.

If this information has helped you click the thumbs up!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

I did resolve the issue by manual recovery of the BIOS. 

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833

HP Recommended

Hi guys

Found that if you flash the BIOS while the monitor is plugged into the HDMI port it disables or loses the port. If this has happened to you:

- Unplug all peripherals

- Redo the BIOS update.

I had already backed out the BIOS update (with the plug still in) and that hadn't helped. I reapplied the BIOS update using the HP Support Assistant - Updates - Action Log. Select the HP Notebook System BIOS Update. Once it's completed plug the monitor in and all will hopefully be well!

HP Recommended

I had the same problem in 2019 on my HP Omen laptop. After a pushed-windows update, my bios got updated. After that my ubuntu boot-up time increased and my second monitor was no longer being detected. The solution was to disable secure boot in the bios. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.