Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there.

I have recenty purchased an HP Spectre x360 i7-6500u and was wondering if this laptop can support internet gigabit speeds?

The reason I ask, is that I have gigabit internet speed through our ISP but I'm getting nowhere close to that speed.

Here's a little more info as to how I've been testing my ISP's gigabit speed:

- Tested using a wired LAN ethernet connection (using a purchased USB 3.0 to gigabit ethernet adapter) Cat 6E cable direct into ISP modem. Only achieving 300 to 400 down and 25 to 35 up. Where as the ISP speeds are 1000 down and 50 up.

The technician that was here this morning when testing the exact setup using his old Lenovo laptop was achieving 700 down and 35 up.

- Tested using the stock wifi modem in the HP Spectre and connecting to the ISP modem using the 5 Ghz channel was still only giving me 300 to 400 down and 25 to 35 up.

Strange enough, the technicians laptop when testing in wifi as I did above, gave him similar results of 300 to 400 down and 25 to 35 up.

So my main question here to the HP technical support team, is if someone can let me know if this new HP Spectre x360 can support internat gigabit speeds. Based on what I've tested above, it may appear that this new laptop is not ready for these types of speeds. Can someone please confirm and/or advise if there are any HP Spectre updates available to handle these gigabit internet speeds?

Your support and/or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi@radar2000,

Thanks for choosing HP Forums. Library for all sorts of solutions, tips and tweaks to your questions/issues.

To have the best experience on HP forum, visit our HP Forums Guide to know more.

Query about the internet speeds on your PC. Is that right?

I will definitely help you.

To help you, the Gigabit internet speeds as of now are theoretical and there seems to be very less efficiency in terms of speed. AS of now the only achievable speed is 5 to 10%.

But it’s the need of the future to cope up with the online hits and browsing needs. As of now, the PC will continue to work fine.

Need more know, please reply.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response Resolv_S, but I'm not sure if this made any sense?

Gigabit internet speeds are not theoretical, but rather reality, as my neighbourhood now has such internet speeds.

Can you please explain to me what you mean by "AS of now the only achievable speed is 5 to 10%."?

As for your comment that my PC will continue to work fine is not the response/answer that I was looking for.

My question is very simple and straight forward... Can this HP Spectre handle gigabit internet speeds based on its current software/hardware? If I were to answer this question myself, based on my results that I have tested, I would say no. As mentioned above, I'm only achieving 300 to 400 mbps whereas an older Lenovo laptop is achieving 700+ mbps.

What I'm hoping is that someone on this HP forum can let me know if there is a setting that needs to be set or a driver that needs to be updated that will allow my Spectre to achieve download speeds of 700+ mbps.

Please let me know if there are any questions.

Cheers! 

HP Recommended

Hi@radar2000,

Thanks for the reply.

The computer you have is equipped with the latest technology and its components and devices are of the latest standards.

So to answer your query, the PC is capable of handling Gigabit hi-speed internet connections provided if the network or the subscription caters to the standards.

Let me know if that helps.

Resolv_S

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

@

Thanks for your response, but unfortunately you did not answer the questions from my previous post.

Can you please explain what you had meant by "AS of now the only achievable speed is 5 to 10%."?

I undertsand and know that my laptop "is equipped with the latest technology and its components and devices are of the latest standards", but my question is why isn't it handling Gigabit hi-speeds?

As stated, I'm only getting 300 to 400 mbps down with my Spectre whereas an older Lenovo laptop is achieving 700+ mbps down.

Is there a setting or any driver updates that need to take place to achieve these Gigabit speeds?

Please let me know if you require any further information to solve this issue for me.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi@radar2000,

Thanks for the reply.

"As of now the only achievable speed is 5 to 10%." refers to the physical limitations fo the network devices, signal transmissions, and service providers.

But that's going to change in the future is what I tried explaining

Let me know if that helps.

Resolv_S

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.