Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have an HP Envy which came with Windows 10, and has an Intel 7265 WiFi adapter. I started the setup and was able to see the WiFi connections and connect to two - home and office. Once all the updates completed, I typically used it between the two WiFi locations - both work great. However on a trip, I tried connecting to another WiFi and have since tried about 6 different options and all fail - the "Connecting" message shows and then disappears and no connection has been made.

The different WiFi devices include a 2Wire, Dlink Access Points, Cisco Enterprise Access Points, a three different phone based hotspots. All do the same.

Debugging steps:

1) Update driver. HP's site has a March 2016 driver.

2) Installed the Intel AC-7265 driver from 9/20/2016.

3) Change settings to switch preferred band to 2.4 GHz and also to 5 GHz and neither make a difference - the Enterprise DLink and Cisco devices work at both frequencies.

4) Changed the 801.11 channel widths to 20 MHz only.

5) Changed "wireless mode" in the driver to 802.11 a, then g, then a/g and back to the default a/b/g.

Did all of the above with the firewall on Bitdefender turned off.

None of these worked, so figured I would post here, to see if maybe someone else has had something similar and did get a resolution.

Any assistance is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello,

I finally did get a resolution - not truly a resolution but at least my WiFi is working correctly as far as I can tell - I ended up restoring  to factory.

In essence it is a work-around, since whatever triggered the issue could not be reversed and fixed. Had to spend the entire weekend getting my data/applications etc. set up again, which is exactly what I wanted to avoid.

I figure someone else may start at restoring their system instead of having to try all the options we went through in here and save themselves many hours of frustration.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Testing_HP,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I understand you have wireless issues with your laptop.

Thanks for performing all the troubleshooting steps.

However, I was checking the records and found that there is known article regarding this issue.

To solve the issue you have to update the wireless driver.

Please find the link to update the driver: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp63001-63500/sp63183.exe

Refer this article to know more information: http://hp.care/2cqqwmD

Please let me know the outcome.

Have a great day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

The driver you suggested is for Win 8.1 and apparently doesn't work for the AC 7265 - not listed under the Devices Supported. The version 15.10.0.11, dated 8/28/2013, is much older than the original driver that came on the system - 18.40.0.12 dated 3/29/2016.

I uninstalled the driver from device manager and then installed the file you suggested, but no WiFi adapter shows up. After restarting, the system installs the file from 3/29/2016.

So the problem still continues.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@Testing_HP, thanks for the response.

Thanks for performing the troubleshooting. 

Please update the wireless driver directly from Intel.

Please click this link and update the wireless drivers :http://hp.care/2en4OO0

Let me know if this works!

Cheers! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

Referring to my original post:

---

Debugging steps:

1) Update driver. HP's site has a March 2016 driver.

2) Installed the Intel AC-7265 driver from 9/20/2016.

3) Change settings to switch preferred band to 2.4 GHz and also to 5 GHz and neither make a difference - the Enterprise DLink and Cisco devices work at both frequencies.

4) Changed the 801.11 channel widths to 20 MHz only.

5) Changed "wireless mode" in the driver to 802.11 a, then g, then a/g and back to the default a/b/g.

---

You will see that step 2 is the download directly from Intel's site for the AC-7265 driver. The Intel site shows a date of 9/20/2016 - as shown above.

Any other suggestions? 

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi! @Testing_HP, thanks for the response.

And thank you for performing all the troubleshooting steps.

Also, I found another article regarding wireless issues with Envy 15 laptops.

According to the article updating BIOS should fix the wireless issue.

Please refer this article for more information: http://hp.care/2c5NRcZ

Let me know if this works!

Have a great weekend! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

These apply to the AMD processor based systems. My system is a model 15-as043cl.

Let me know what else is avilable.

HP Recommended

Hello,

I finally did get a resolution - not truly a resolution but at least my WiFi is working correctly as far as I can tell - I ended up restoring  to factory.

In essence it is a work-around, since whatever triggered the issue could not be reversed and fixed. Had to spend the entire weekend getting my data/applications etc. set up again, which is exactly what I wanted to avoid.

I figure someone else may start at restoring their system instead of having to try all the options we went through in here and save themselves many hours of frustration.

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.