Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 17t-J100 Quad edition
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello. I have a HP ENVY 17t-J100. I wanted to know if it is possible with this laptop to Wake on LAN. I want to use this laptop  closed with an external monitor. But to do that, I need to be able to turn it on without opening it. I do not see an option for "Wake on LAN in the BIOS. Is there a way to turn on this laptop with Wake on LAN? Or a way to turn it on without opening it? Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi@Gobbling_Monkey,

Thanks for stopping by HP Support Forums.

I came across your post and would like to help.

I suggest you try the steps below and check if you can enable Wake on LAN,

• Open the start menu and type "Device Manager" and open the device manager.
  • Expand "Network Adapters" and right-click your network adapter (typically Intel) and select Properties.
  • Click the "Power" or "Power Management" tab and make sure WOL is enabled. Click OK to save. Note you may have to restart your computer for the changes to take effect

Hope the solution above fixes the issue. Feel free to reply back for more.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Hello and thank you for your reply. I have already tried that. It still does not work. What else can I check? I forgot to mention I have a TP-Link Archer C9 router. The laptop is connected with ethernet cable. I have tried both with wifi and cable. I wake from my phone. Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hello. I managed to get it to work, but it only works when sleeping or hibernation. How do I get it to work while shut off? I read that i need to turn on fast startup in the power options. It did not work. 

HP Recommended

@Gobbling_Monkey

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

The Riddle_Decipher is at your service!

It's great to know that you got it working from sleep or hibernation,

However, if you want to turn on your desktop remotely using the Lan / Wan and normally this wouldn't be possible unless you utilize 3rd party applications (such as Nirsoft WakeMeOnLan, Nyxbull Wake on LAN, etc.) at your own discretion.

Keep me posted!
Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @Gobbling_Monkey

Would you mind saying how you got this to work please? I have the same hardware as you and I am pulling (what's left of) my hair out.

Many thanks

HP Recommended

Hello. Sorry, I don't 100% remember exactly what I did as it was long time ago and I don't use the laptop anymore, but I'm pretty sure I just enabled the wake on lan in every one of my network adapters like the instructions above, and checked BIOS settings too. But I never was able to get it to work from being powered completely off. It only worked from sleep or hibernation.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.