Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-E033TX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have an HP Pavilion 15-E033TX laptop with me for last 2 years. My WiFi module is Ralink RT3290 and it is behaving randomly now a days. It detects my home WiFi network but it dosent detect my office WiFI network. Whereas my mobile detects all of them. The problem is with all WiFi networks. Detects some and dosent detect others. I have tested these all with my iphone and it detects all of these WiFi networks. I have no idea what is going on with my laptop WiFI module. Few details of my laptop are as follows:

Processor: Intel Core i7 4702MQ 2.2GHz

RAM: 12 GB DDR3

Hard Disk: 750GB Toshiba

Display: Intel HD 4600 and AMD Radeon 8670M

Wired Network: Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller

WiFI Module: Raink RT3290 802.11bgn WiFI Adaptor

Now i want to change the WiFi module of my laptop. I want to know if it is possible for my laptop model or not? A reply / help in this regard will be much appreciated.

regards

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

BIOS upgrade is not necessary to make the wireless module work. The whitelist would not be present in any version of the BIOS, assuming it is absent. Still, you have an old BIOS and it would make general sense to update it. Keep in mind I am about 99% sure there is no whitelist. HP has never published a definitive list of models that do not have the whitelist but we have generally learned that anything with a 4th generation Intel Core processor or newer will not have a whitelist. You will need a driver for this wireless card and I would download it and put it on a flash drive or perhaps download it to the desktop so it is available when the  new card is installed the first time after that you boot up.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

See p. 51 for "how-to" on removing the wireless card. Your model does not have a "whitelist" problem but there is perhaps another equally troubling issue. There possibly is only one antenna attached to the module and available. If that is the case, your options are terribly limited and there is no way to tell if there is 1 or 2 antenna leads without opening it up and looking. 

You definitely need to get rid of that Ralink adapter. It is not a good piece of hardware even if working and if it has failed it is actually a good opportunity to install something good. 

This is the best card for you, but requires 2 antennae:

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-7260-HMWG-R-Wireless-AC-Bluetooth-Mounting/dp/B00MY9S692/ref=sr_1_1?ie=...

Post back if you need any more help.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

I think my WiFI module has 2 antennas attached to it. Here is the picture of my WiFi module. Please tell me if it has one or two antennas.

rsz_img_3152.jpg

HP Recommended

You have 2: white and black so you can get a good adapter. The one I linked is the best available in that form factor (size and shape). 

HP Recommended

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-7260-HMWG-R-Wireless-AC-Bluetooth-Mounting/dp/B00MY9S692/ref=sr_1_1?ie=...

This is the one which you recommended for me in your earlier comment. Should i go for it? Is it compatible with my laptop model (HP Pavilion 15-E033TX) ??? My BIOS version is "Insyde F.08" and if i update it to the latest version available for my laptop model i.e. version "F.27" then will the new intel WiFi module still work????? Should i even update my BIOS or not or should i leave my laptop as the way it is now???

HP Recommended

BIOS upgrade is not necessary to make the wireless module work. The whitelist would not be present in any version of the BIOS, assuming it is absent. Still, you have an old BIOS and it would make general sense to update it. Keep in mind I am about 99% sure there is no whitelist. HP has never published a definitive list of models that do not have the whitelist but we have generally learned that anything with a 4th generation Intel Core processor or newer will not have a whitelist. You will need a driver for this wireless card and I would download it and put it on a flash drive or perhaps download it to the desktop so it is available when the  new card is installed the first time after that you boot up.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much.............i will buy the one you have recommended...............

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.