Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I upgraded the operating system on my HP Envy dv-7-7240 laptop today from Windows 8 to 8.1 (64 bit), which included Explorer 11. It went pretty much as planned and everything was working fine except my web speeds slowed down to a crawl.    I disabled all the add-ons, and reset explorer, but that didn't help.  Note: I was experiencing slow internet (I'm on cable by the way) and a couple of other issues that I couldn't get resolved, the main reason I upgraded to 8.1. It resoloved all of the problems except for the slow internet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes, the issue started while on Windows 8 and continued after the upgrade to Windows 8.1. However, I have since solved the problem, but I'm a little embarrassed to say how.  After going around the world to try and resolve this issue, the solution was right in front of me the whole time...the stupid cable modem.  I finally noticed that the indicator lights on my modem (which is quite old, by the way), were flashing more rapidly than they normally do.  A call to tech support at my cable company confirmed that I probably have a faulty modem. So, I installed a new, higher end modem and now I'm crusing the net like a champ again. The lesson: If your modem is more than five years old, beware; they don't last forever. Lesson learned!!

Thanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello todj1,

Thank you for posting on the HP Forums!

I understand that your wired Internet connection is slow. I just want to clarify whether or not this did occur on Windows 8, as well as 8.1.

My first suggestion will be a manual reinstall of the driver. To do this:

1. Go into Device Manager, then Network adapters.

2. Look for the LAN adapter (take note of what it is called and its version), right-click on it and select "uninstall".

3. Do not restart the computer. Instead, download and install this LAN driver: Realtek Local Area Network (LAN) Driver

That LAN driver is the only supported LAN driver for this computer using Windows 8.1. Installing it should resolve the issue.

If not, can you attempt a wireless connection and observe is anything is different? If the connection is still terrible, please give the steps in this document a try: Troubleshooting Wireless Network and Internet (Windows 😎

Specifically, I would like you to try the steps in the "Wireless connection is slow in Windows 8" section.

If nothing has worked yet, the final troubleshooting for now is to troubleshoot the issue using HP Support Assistant. This document will provide information on this task: Using HP Support Assistant

I want you to reference the "Internet and Security" section and follow the recommendations.

Please let me know the results of your troubleshooting. Thanks!

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Yes, the issue started while on Windows 8 and continued after the upgrade to Windows 8.1. However, I have since solved the problem, but I'm a little embarrassed to say how.  After going around the world to try and resolve this issue, the solution was right in front of me the whole time...the stupid cable modem.  I finally noticed that the indicator lights on my modem (which is quite old, by the way), were flashing more rapidly than they normally do.  A call to tech support at my cable company confirmed that I probably have a faulty modem. So, I installed a new, higher end modem and now I'm crusing the net like a champ again. The lesson: If your modem is more than five years old, beware; they don't last forever. Lesson learned!!

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Very interesting.

But... my wife has a modern PC using Win10, whereas I have an older HP, until last week on Win.8. Both worked very well on our wi-fi router, and our response time was perfectly acceptable, even on a mobile intrnet connection (we live in the in the middle of the Swedish forsets).

After updating to  Win. 8.1, my PC took typically over two minutes just to log on to my home Internat page.

Alas, I don't think you solution of changing my router would work for me, so next weekend I'll be attempting some of the things proposed by HP.

Holmsrud

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.