Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Stream Notebook N5X87UA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After many hours, I successfully downgraded my laptop from pre-installed Windows 10 to Windows 8.1. After installation, my MicroSD card reader no longer works and I have lost the ability to use Wi-Fi. The laptop still detects Wi-Fi networks, but it cannot recognize any signal (the bars are all grayed out). The driver adapter is supposedly working fine. I tried updating, which makes no difference. I am ready to throw my laptop in the garbage. I am so frustrated. If someone can help me, I'd be so grateful. The two USB ports still work despite these other problems.

In Properties -

Manufacturer: Broadcom

Description: Broadcom 802.22n Network Adapter

Driver Version: 6.30.223.102

Physical Address: 60-6D-C7-ED-37-73

I'm not sure what other information could be useful.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Actually, it makes sense to me that since your notebook came with Windows 10, HP is not offering drivers for Windows 8.1.  I would not think they normally support a downgrade.  There is also no complete guarantee that Windows 8.1 drivers exist for all of your devices. 

You could attempt to use drivers from a Windows 8.1 version of the Stream 11, here for example.  One difference is the original Stream 11's only supported 2.4 GHz Wifi so the Windows 8.1 Wifi drivers may not be valid.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

If it was a fresh install of Windows 8.1, you would need to install the Windows 8.1 drivers, including the chipset drivers from the hp.com site if you have not already.

HP Recommended

I appreciate your reply. But I'm not sure which drivers to select from. HP doesn't give a simple Windows 8.1 download pack. After entering my model number and being forced to select Windows 10 (since that's what it came with), it gives me a breakdown of different drivers and chipsets I can choose from for my system: http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-stream-11-r000-notebook-pc/8499339/model/8961279#...

But these would not be accurate for me anyway since I need everything for 8.1. I am blown away by how challenging and frustrating this whole situation has been. I have literally spent my entire weekend trying to do this downgrade properly.  

I found this link, but of course my model is not listed there:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/caps-softpaq/cmit/HP_Driverpack_Matrix_x64.html

I am ready to SCREAM!

HP Recommended

Actually, it makes sense to me that since your notebook came with Windows 10, HP is not offering drivers for Windows 8.1.  I would not think they normally support a downgrade.  There is also no complete guarantee that Windows 8.1 drivers exist for all of your devices. 

You could attempt to use drivers from a Windows 8.1 version of the Stream 11, here for example.  One difference is the original Stream 11's only supported 2.4 GHz Wifi so the Windows 8.1 Wifi drivers may not be valid.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your advice. The link you shared for the similar Streambook laptop had drivers that actually worked. After HOURS and HOURS of trying, something worked. Thanks again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.