Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15 bj000nh
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello all, I've a problem with my new HP Pavilion 15-bj000nh notebook, purchased few days ago.
The wi-fi connection is too weak, if I keep the PC one meter far from router I get only 3-4 bars of 5 in the connection properties and if I go just 10 meters and a pair of rooms far I get 1-2 bars of 5 and frequent disconnections. Also the speed degrades I see, and close to the router too is not at maximum.
Otherwise, my old HP 6735s notebook with Windows 7, had never problems in the same position (10 m) and keep 3-4 bars without disconnections. I verified the strength of wi-fi router with cell phone too (no problem), I already tried all the solutions suggested by the HP support assistant on PC and on the HP support site too, but without any results... I upgreaded the software of the Broadcom card (802.11n). IT helped a bit, but even with the newest software, my laptop has the connectivity problems. I cannot believe that a new NB can have a so weak connection... I have no other ideas different from an HW fault...
Thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

No wireless card will work well with only a single antenna, and a dual band (2.4 and 5 ghz) will not work at all on one antenna... An antenna lead can be added but it takes almost complete disassembly. I doubt the Service Center would do it. I wish there were something I could tell you. A usb wireless dongle is actually your best option. 15 bucks on amazon.com and you will have good reception at the cost of losing access to one usb port. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Check page 43 of the Manual here:

Service Manual

You say Broadcom, but that is not one of the listed options: there is Realtek and Intel. 

I know it is not easy to do, but I would open the back and check to see how many antennae are present. I also would like to know what your device manager is showing as the installed wifi card? Braodcom what? If you have 2 antennae I would consider installing a better wireless card. If there is one antenna, your options are limited and not very good. 

HP Recommended

In your document, it is listed:

Broadcom BCM43142 802.11 b/g/n 1x1 Wi-Fi + BT4.0 M.2 Combo Adapter

HP Recommended

It is a sigle antenna module, but shall I expect so bad performance like my laptop has? I mean in my opinion, a WLAN card in 2016 should have a reliable Wifi connection in 10 meters range of the router....

HP Recommended

I totally agree but the single antenna models are just terrible. I wish they would stop doing it. 

HP Recommended

I am really an amateur in this this topic...

Is it diffucult and costly to change it? Shall I find a HP service nearby to do this for me?

HP Recommended

No wireless card will work well with only a single antenna, and a dual band (2.4 and 5 ghz) will not work at all on one antenna... An antenna lead can be added but it takes almost complete disassembly. I doubt the Service Center would do it. I wish there were something I could tell you. A usb wireless dongle is actually your best option. 15 bucks on amazon.com and you will have good reception at the cost of losing access to one usb port. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for all your help! I'll give it a try, maybe it's just some software problems but anyway, HP really disappointed me... 😞

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.