Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Mine is already turned like that and the button still just controls airplane mode. Everytime HP updates my computer my wireless stops working. I have to turn it off, unplug it, take out the battery and press the power button for 30 seconds and then it will work. EVERY SINGLE TIME I get an update. It's a huge pain in the butt and HP has been forcefully updating my computer at least once a week.

HP Recommended

This worked for me. Thank You!!!!!

"Hello everyone.

I have some information for users using Windows 8 which may be helpful.  The wireless button works slightly differently within Windows 8 than it has in previous versions of Windows.  If the BIOS updates have not worked for you try the following.

1. From the Metro view type "wireless."
  2. You should then see "settings" on the right.  Select this and it will populate many wireless related items on the left side of the screen.
  3. Select "wireless" from this section.
  4. You should see a few options.  One being "Airplane mode" and the others being an on/off switch for bluetooth and/or wireless.  
  5. Ensure that both of these are turned on while airplane mode is off.
  6. Save changes and reboot.

Have a great day!"

Courtesy of AttackofZaq

A short summary of my problem: I did a windows update one day, then my wifi did not work anymore. After, restarting and taking out my battery it fixed it the first couple of times then nothing at all. I searched HP, and did all the updates (including the BIOS), that did not fix anything, and it actually changed my "wifi" button in to an airplane mode button. I had discovered earlier that my wifi radio was off, and I could not find a way to fix it. After running across this sticky: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Wireless-Internet-Home-Networking-e-g-Windows-8/Consumer-Notebooks-and-... and I completed all the steps, I reached the section that asked me to update my "wireless driver" my Intel driver was under the group with an update "not yet available." So that was a dead end. I tried updating my BIOS again because I heard there were some things fixed, but there weas no new BIOS for my model. FInally, this simple solution literally fixed my wireless connection instantly.

HP Recommended

@ItsmeKT wrote:

Mine is already turned like that and the button still just controls airplane mode. Everytime HP updates my computer my wireless stops working. I have to turn it off, unplug it, take out the battery and press the power button for 30 seconds and then it will work. EVERY SINGLE TIME I get an update. It's a huge pain in the butt and HP has been forcefully updating my computer at least once a week.

I skimmed over the rest of the thread again to see what information you had posted.

Are you using Windows 8?  Did the notebook come with Windows 8, did you upgrade from Windows 7, or did you cleanly install Windows yourself?

What is your notebook's product number?  This document can show you where it is located.

You imply that this, at some point, worked correct (until an update?).  Do you have any more information that you could share about what was updated and when?

Have a good day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

My laptop is a Pavilion DM4-3107TX Beats Edition Entertainment Notebook with Windows 8 Pro.

Everything was running well until an automated BIOS Update on 3-1-2013 Version F.0A rendered my WiFi inoperable.

The F12 button just toggles Airplane Mode On/Off.

Reinstalling the previous BIOS F.09 dated 11-12-2012 didn't work.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the Broadcom WiFi driver didn't work.

What else can I do?

HP Recommended

Hello @n0j4q3trequired,

Try reseating the wireless card, in other words remove the card and reinsert it hopefully to get a better connection.

Here is the service manual for your DM4 and on page 38 shows the steps to get to the card.

Please respond back at your earliest convenience.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
HP Recommended

Do what I did.  Buy an USB network adapter.  Linksys makes a small form factor adapter.

HP Recommended

That is insane. HP should not be updating these computers, basically ruining them and then we have to take our computer apart to fix it? Give me a break. I got tired of HP continually sending updates that messed up my laptop in windows 8 so I downgraded back to windows 7 and it's running perfectly. I understand that windows 8 was not native to these PCs but my laptop worked fine with it until these updates started rolling out.

I was a big backer of HP and really enjoyed their laptops but i'm done

HP Recommended
I also facing the same problems....can anyone help me to get back my wireless bar? All the time troubleshoot
HP Recommended
Alhamdulillah, thanks for the solution, now I can do all my work..thanks alot....... 😄
HP Recommended

Remove all HP software if it updates so often. It's not like they push new drivers. I installed Windows 8 Pro on my DM4-3099SE and seem to have the same issue with WiFi. It just goes out for no apparent reason, other than after downloading windows updates, of which there are a lot, since I have a new install. The only thing helps is powering down and removing the battery and holding the power button for a few seconds. At first the WiFi key was always blue and had not effect. Then HP pushed the key update and I was able to turn the airplane mode on, while the key still was lit blue. Then after some windows update, the key started working as it should, turning red when turning wifi off. Once in a while it stops working at all and that's when I perform the above procedure.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.