Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-r110tu HP Not
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

a few days ago my laptop stopped connecting wirelessly to my modem

I ran the auto-troubleshooters, and they told me it was a driver/hardware issue
I pinned it down to my reltekRTL8723BE adapter, but I couldn't seem to fix it

so I set up a wired connection, and re-installed it in  hope that would fix it

now I'm getting random BSOD errors (DRIVER_NOT_LESS etc)

I tried the tutorial on fixing this on the HP site, but after re-installing the driver through HP recovery assistant yielded no results I am unsure how to proceed

if I had to guess I'd say that the current version I can download isn't stable on my system, but it's beyond my skill level at this point

any help apreciate

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello again, 

Sorry for my late reaction, I had some busy days.

So since the problem persist let's try to install the driver manually: 

Open the device manager > go to "Networks adapter" > right click on your network adapter > and select unisntall, if a menu pops up questioning you to uninstall the driver then suggest you to remove the driver do so aswell.

Now install the downloaded file from HP (Right click to execute as administrator.)

Have you tried this aswell?

The doors of wisdom are never shut. Benjamin Franklin
&
We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right. Nelson Mandela

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello bluedoor1,

Welcome at the HP forums

Can you try to install this driver:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp68001-68500/sp68381.exe

Winos.

&
We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right. Nelson Mandela

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, I would definitely consider using a differnt driver to fix this issue

however I am reluctant to start running .exe files and installing unknown drivers, especially relating to wireless

I don't suppose you have the name/version number/source of the driver you posted so I can download it from the source?

regards, bluedoor

HP Recommended

It actuaclly comes from the source,

HP has an FTP server where they post their drivers,

ftp://ftp.hp.com/ > then go to pub > softpaq > sp68001-68500 > sp68381.exe to download your driver

Or you can go to: 

1. http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-15-Notebook-PC-series/7234951/model/7393367/product-info

2. Go to drivers:

3. Select your Windows version

4. Click on "Update"

5. Go to Realtek RTL8723BE/RTL8188EE 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Drivers 

6. Download this driver, if you have a good browser, (Not IE, FF or Chrome but Maxthon) you will see the URL which is:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp68001-68500/sp68381.exe

Your driver version  equals 2013.3.0709.2014 A

And for your concern, I uploaded the driver to virustotal.com, let it recheck the package and here are the results: 

SHA256:4e0803725dad02b86037a5ff395e65ec4939d6b9bcf6b212fa5e7ce024a1cb24

https://virustotal.com/en/file/4e0803725dad02b86037a5ff395e65ec4939d6b9bcf6b212fa5e7ce024a1cb24/anal...

If you still don't trust this program, I suggest that you run the driver inside a virtual machine when running process explorer. This so you can see exactly what the driver does.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx

But when you reach that point you almost reach the point where you have to deinstall Windows since I cannot tell you if Windows is trustworthy. Trust me, we can go way deeper but that is out of the current scope.

I hope that I gave you enough information. If you need more, feel free to ask.

Winos

&

HP Recommended

thank you for that, I didn't recognise the download link as from the HP site itself as I don't come here often; I intended no offence.

I have updated the driver, it was one of the first things I tried to fix the issue; however the issue persists
my driver version is currently "2013.3.709.2014"
so I wonder if the updtes are actully installing, the CMD style instal window for your download just closes after "waiting for instaling"

it is perplexing, I seem to be able to get normal working internet sometimes after turning my laptop on, but when it goes off nothing seems to get it working.
so the adapter seems to function on some level
I'm getting a code ten (device cannot start) when it stops working, and this prevents me from instaling anything at that point

HP Recommended

Hello again, 

Sorry for my late reaction, I had some busy days.

So since the problem persist let's try to install the driver manually: 

Open the device manager > go to "Networks adapter" > right click on your network adapter > and select unisntall, if a menu pops up questioning you to uninstall the driver then suggest you to remove the driver do so aswell.

Now install the downloaded file from HP (Right click to execute as administrator.)

Have you tried this aswell?

&

HP Recommended

I have already tried a manual re-install, and it did not work; I believe I may have mentioned this

however the problem seems to have resolved it'self, I am unsure how

thank you for the assistance nonetheless, I will mark the issue as solved

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.