Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
G71-340US Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My computer updated with a normal update last night, and today my whole computer is erased. All pictures, documents, music, programs. Everything is gone. How do I recover my information???

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

That sounds very troubling.  I would try going back to a date before this happened by using System Restore.  If that does not give back the information, then do not use the computer anymore, as usage may overwrite the data.  My next step would be to use a Linux Live OS.  Make a bootable CD/DVD on a different PC, boot to that and to recover the data, or at least see if it is still there and then save to external media.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Dreamer875

So, HOW are you determining that everything is gone?  A Windows Update might cause some problems, but it is certainly NOT going to rummage around your hard drive deleting user files at random.

And, as to using a Linux distro, unless you went to the trouble to manually disable FastStartup (which is enabled by default in Win10), you will find that Linux will refuse to allow you to mount the Windows partition -- because it is, in fact, already mounted in Win10, even though, at that point, Win10 is no longer running.

========================================================================
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
---------------------------------------------------------------
If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.
If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".
========================================================================

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.