Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Update :It's been a week now. And only reply from HP on the 5th to say they have my information and will process it shortly... Because I had project deadlines I couldn't afford to wait any longer for them to reply, let alone fix my laptop. Contacted my local computer repair shop and they said they had my top plate in stock and were able to replace it for the next day. I had to pay $220, so goodbye food for the next couple of weeks. Laptop is fixed now but I don't know how long it will last until the hinge breaks again. Thanks for all the tips mike, but I think I lost to HP this round...

HP Recommended

@JoyLai ... sorry to hear that, but at least you now have a working laptop....  my repair is still fine, but it's only been six months.  It's not due for failure until around November.  We'll see.

HP.... You've lost another customer.  Congrats.

HP Recommended

I have an HP envy M6 that is about half a year out of warranty. I'm really kicking myself for not contacting HP after the first signs of hinge failure (separating case, MIA screw) when the laptop was still within warranty. I "fixed" it once with a replacement screw,  followed by careful usage but that didn't last. Last wek the right side of the case started to separate, then the left side went full-blown busted. I can't shut the lid without causing more damage to the laptop.

I started a new thread explaining what happened and asking for information on what my options are (currently it is the most recent "HP envy Broken Hinge" post.) I've received the standard moderator reply and now the private message requesting additional information. I'm pretty anxious about it all, because a major bill right now is as big a nightmare as a laptop that does not close.

I'm hoping that HP does the right thing, as I really like my laptop (it was a major investment) and It still feels new to me (especially after I just upgraded the RAM to 16gb).  I've checked out the new hinge design on the latest Envy, and it looks like they finally figured it out. That said, HP's next move will be the decider in wether I continue as an HP customer or begin a campaign in this forum and elsewhere to inform others with the same problem and to warn potential buyers to beware.

HP Recommended

@casual_t

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this post has instructions.

I Work for HP
HP Recommended

casual_t  You're doing all the right things...   If you read through this entire thread, you'll get some ideas about what you can expect from HP.  I'm hoping HP will eventually step up and do something about this in a more professional way, but I'm beginning to doubt it.   As far as I know, no one has gone as far as tweeting hourly about the issues, but it's been suggested by a friend that twitter should be used to make noise about the issue....  the facebook posts disappear from the page quickly, as other users post new messages, and, HP can delete them.  Twitter is out there forever....   doing all three....  twitter, facebook and this forum.....  might get their attention, if what is offered is unacceptable. 

From what I've seen, if you're willing to pony up the dough, they'll do a great job fixing their own failure..... 

Come on, HP!

Good Luck!  Mike

HP Recommended

For the first time in my life, I wish I was a twitter user. Hopefully It doesn't come to that. Thanks for the reply and for maintaining this thread.

HP Recommended

I am sick and tired of whats going on with this hinge issue as Iv'e got a $1000 investment sitting on the floor

next to my desk that I cannot afford to fix and when its powered up it sounds like a 20 year old Kirby due to 

the fan issue. I get at least one email a day on this forum regarding the same issue over and over. It is pretty obvious

that there is a huge problem going on and no one is doing anything to rectify the issue. I know other disabled Vets

who have the same problem as many of these defective HP's were sold on Military installations and we all have the identical problem. Is there anyone out there who has an Envy that works?? I have yet to meet one and if there is one out

there please speak up-

HP Recommended

@gymkaye

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

hey danny-r   ...  the frustration in Envy owners in palpable.   In post after post, user after user, all with the same hinge issue, the moderators... you, Omar, and others, just cut and paste the same message into the forum and direct the user into private conversation.  Why not let us... you know, the ones who have actually given HP our money....  know what the official line on these hinges is?  Has HP instructed you not to comment?  Do you really see no major, systemic issue, like the people you direct us to claim?  Are you aware that the people you direct us to claim to not even read the forum to learn about the use of their own products?  Do you kno that the people you direct us to claim they've never heard of a hinge problem?  Or that they charge one user $300 and the next they fix at no charge.... even though they have the same issue, same warranty or lack thereof? 

I predict silence to this inquiry... but you never know.

Thanks,

Mike

HP Recommended

nothing....   hello.... hello..... is this thing on?

Yeah... that's what I thought.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.