Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Yeah I see these hinges all the time and if the hinge is causing the screw to come loose, tightening the screw is a temporary fix. I wish it were that simple. 

HP Recommended

I have been experiencing the same issue.

At this stage I am not sure will I bother trying to get HP to help.

When a consumer pays a premium price they expect a premium product.

It is annoying that I ENVY people who spent half the money and still have working hinges.

I am going to pursue contacting consumer groups in Ireland, I recommend everyone does the same in their own countries.

HP should be offering a recall at this stage with no charge to the consumer. This is ridiculous.

Disgraceful behaviour.

HP Recommended

More than a few years ago, Toshiba exerienced a class action law suit over cracked hinges. It took about 10 years or so for it to be resolved and by then only a few people had kept the laptops or had proof of ever owning one. It was eventually settled for $150 Toshiba store credit. I wouldn't be surprised if something like that happens here. Especially  since there already seems to be a redesign of the laptop hinge.

HP Recommended

#HPHingeGate

HP Recommended

Maybe HP stands for Hinge Problem...

HP Recommended

Wow! It's amazing the number of people with the same issue and it keeps on going. We just had this happen to our HP laptop. My wife was opening it tonight and the hinge popped on the left side. It's pulling the frame up in the back just as others are describing. It's just over a year old now. We bought it in August 2015.

HP Recommended
We need to keep pushing. We deserve to get a free repair from HP, this is just ridiculous. At this stage there should be an official announcement.
HP Recommended

@Rickyzee

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Just looked back on this thread and realized it's been almost one full year since I started it.  Almost every day, my inbox is has multiple notices from the HP forum about new posts to threads I posted two in the process, as well as my own which I started.  I stopped reading them a while back because the story was always the same.  The numbers, however, are staggering and should eventually get the attention of a class action attorney or two.  

I would love to see someone with the time go back through the threads of the past two years or so, searching the forums and create a list of unique users who have complained of this problem.  Forum users regularly report HP's people claiming they're unaware of hinge problems.  I have to belive there are at least a thousand indiviudal cases on here alone.    

As for me... I don't have the time.  For what it's worth, my second hinge repair is still holding 10 or so months later... just means it's due for a failure.  

Good luck to all!  Keep up the good fight!

HP Recommended

It's my belief, as previously stated, that there will eventually be a class action suit. The game always seems to be for the manufacturer to deny, deny, deny, then eventually agree to discussion and deny, deny, deny. The stategy seems to be delay untill many of the computers have been disposed of and very few people have any proof of purchase left. Then make an offer that gives the remaining owners something like $50 or a greater amount toward a purchase at the company store.

Of course the attorneys from both sides will be delighted with the outcome and company stock will not be effected and the world moves on.

BTW, my self repair has held for 3 months. It would have been a lot nicer if the reps that contact me offered to supply a new hinge, or maybe 4 of those $30 per set of rubber feet, or maybe just to screws for the hinge, anything would be nicer that telling me my extended warranty that I purchased had expired 3 months ago.

Well I could go on and on so let me close by saying I went with HP because Toshiba had problems so really, there's no place to run.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.