Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

For free burning software try:

For  playing DVDs,VLC Player:

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

I have a Pavilion dv5xxx, or more precisely, dv5170us, which would be placed as Model Level 4, I guess.

I just wanted to share my findings after using Windows 7 Ultimate during the last five days in this machine, given that I couldn't find what I needed a couple of weeks ago when I was just about to take the plunge from XP.

I used a clean disk; formatted and partitioned using the install disk. No problem.

Installed Windows 7 Ultimate. No problem.... well only one. My SD card was not being recognized.

After some searching, using a driver checker program which found 99% compatibility with my hardware, I downloaded this driver:

----------------------

http://www.station-drivers.com/page/texas-ins.htm

Texas Instruments PCIxx21/x515/xx12 Integrated ((Media Card Reader))Version 2.0.0.10 pour Windows 2000/Xp/Vista/Seven (32/64bits)  pour Serie PCI-xx12

----------------------

It is now working wonderfully. No problems.

So if you're thinking about Win7 for your old laptop like mine, don't hesitate as much as I did.

I forgot to mention that I'm using an external Sabrent antenna which required some searching in the Realtek site to get the drivers (since I couldn't get any help from the Sabrent support other than a suggestion for going back to XP...) Given that that is an external piece of unrelated hardware I'm not posting any info on it, but if you happen to have this same problem, you can contact me.

The internal antenna works fine, but I can't get a very strong signal here in the backyard shed where I usually have this laptop. :Crying:

As for the free programs you mention for burning and playing DVDs, can I add my personal choices?

They would be Media Player Classic (included with the K-lite Codec pack), and CDBurnerXP. Both are free and I have been using them for years with no problems at all, but that's just my 2%.

Thanks for all your info and let's keep our great machines going strong (at least for a couple of years, no?)

H. Elizondo

HP Recommended

@helizond

Thanks for your contributions to the guide.

HP Recommended

здравствуйте помогите плиз у меня HP Pavilion dv6 пропал значок уровня заряда батарейки в трее нажимаю что бы включить,а там говорят "значок не активен" и перестала переключаться графика когда от батареи и от сети. в общем ноут не видет батарею!!! Программа HP Support Assistant тоже ее не видет!!! пропало все это дело после того как стояла 60-дневная версия антивируса Norton там была запущена глубокая чистка ноута на вирусы и после этого пропало. Я так понимаю Нортон видел в отчетах что переключается графика и удалил программу или драйвер батареи.Ну в кратце как-то так.  

HP Recommended

I recieved a Windows 7 upgrade disk from HP after I brought my computer....now my computer is telling me that the windows 7 software is not gunuine.  I have the disk that was sent to me I want to know how to fix this problem.

HP Recommended

I have HP Pavillion DV6 - 6199se.

Can i install Windows 7 Ultimate Clean installation (As We install in desktops.)

Before in Pavillion DV series It will give you Blue screen while Installing from media other than HP recovery.

HP Recommended

@yasinkp2004

Windows 7 should install fine on your DV6.

HP Recommended

Please confirm...

i am using just a normal windows 7 intallation disc, Which is also using for installing in other computers too..

HP Recommended

So I have a question.

If HP doesn't support anything under level 3, and nobody else has any information about these machines, then who is it that we go to to find answers to our questions?

I've been waiting for quite a while for a simple request for a G61-511WM. The machine is still in perfect working order sans the original hard drive. It is about a year out of warranty, but Walmart isn't going to help, and I don't DARE contact the HP support desk and pay HP to spend two hours on the phone while they go through everything that I've spent the last day attempting.

Last time I told an HP representative to give me something specific, he barked at me because I wasn't letting him help me. I'm a tech. If I've already spent hours trying to figure out what it is, then chances are I already know what it is when I call.

So again I ask, if HP won't support HP equipment. Who will?

HP Recommended

so finally i'm going to upgrade, i'm a bit confused about the level 1, etc laptop.  i hae a DV5T-1000, i think it's supported and . suitable for upgrade to Window 7.  Can someone confirm?

Thanks

Jeff

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.