Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'm in the process of doing a RAM upgrade of my HP EliteBook 8540w.

It is the version with 2 memory slots.

I want to use 16GB total, so i wonder if it supports 8GB modules???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Here are the updated specs which seem to agree with the tool you ran.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13529_ca/13529_ca.PDF

Support for 8 GB modules in 2 or 4 slots.

Paul

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the quickspecs for your notebook.

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c02104660.pdf

See page 8. Maximum memory per slot is 4 GB.  Since your model has only 2 memory slots, the maximum you can go to is 8 GB.

Paul

HP Recommended

Ok, but that document was written May, 2010...did the 8GB modules exist then?

Did a search using the Kingston memory configurator on a online store, and is says this for the 8540w:

Maximum Memory:
-16GB with 2 Sockets (with release of 8GB module)
-32GB with 4 Sockets (with release of 8GB module)

Want ot verify that this info is correct before I buy.
HP Recommended

Hi:

Here are the updated specs which seem to agree with the tool you ran.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13529_ca/13529_ca.PDF

Support for 8 GB modules in 2 or 4 slots.

Paul

HP Recommended

I'm struggling with my company's HP 8540w, a 2-slot i7 (apparently quad core).

1) I bought an 8 GB DDR3 PNY simm from Best Buy before I realized the OS was a 32-bit.  The computer would start and run with 3 GB registering in Windows (2 GB Simm under keyboard, and with the 8 GB PNY on the bottom).

2) I had my work update the OS to Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit.  They also swapped out the two 2 GB simms for 4 GB, to give me a total of 8. 

3) 8 GB isn't enough.  So I went back to Best Buy and bought a 16 GB package of 2 8 GB Corsair chips.  No go.  Computer would not run or run memory test if 8 GB simm was in either slot (with 4 GB in other).

4) I returned to best buy to get the PNY simm that I knew worked.  No luck. 

5) Best Buy was closing and I think the BIOS was old.  So I updated it to the September 2013 version thinking that was my problem.  Nope.  So here I am with two 8 GB PNY simms and I can't get the 8540w to read either of them. 

Serial:[Personal Information Removed]

Product: FN095UT#ABA

The laptop appears to originally come with Windows 7 Pro OA

Can I upgrade this one beyond 8 GB? 

Four i7 Processors show in Device Manager.  It looks like Quad core machines should accept 8 GB chips.

The PNY chips I have are:

UPC: 51492 56708

DDR3

PC3-12800

Compatible with 1600/1333/1066MHz

8GB DD3 SODIM,K

D0JKH-T   PO205342

What am I doing wrong?

HP Recommended
Oh. The RAM shows in the System Information in the BIOS, but it won't test. This was the same for both the Corsair and the PNY memory I got at BestBuy
HP Recommended
Dolt!!! I think I found my own answer. I thought i had a quad core, but it looks like i have dual-core, not quad. I have the M620:
Intel Core i7-620M Processor (2.66 GHz, 4 MB L3 cache)
Page 5 of the following document shows the Dual Core and Quad Core processors: http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13529_ca/13529_ca.PDF

Darn.
HP Recommended

mnowaczyk, if you still want to upgrade the RAM to 16GB you can always upgrade the processor to one of the four Quad-Core processors (720QM, 740QM, 820QM or 840QM).  Since your Dual-Core processor is the 620M I recommend the 840QM. See Page 78 of the Service and Maintenance information manual.

I'm in the same boat as you, and I plan to upgrade to the 840QM in a few weeks.

HP Recommended

Hi, @TheHPWay :

I don't think you can just replace the processor.  I believe you will also have to change the motherboard.

Different motherboards are used for the dual core processors and quad core processors, according to the service manual, chapter 3, page 26.

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=4096175&docId=emr_na-c03382696&docLocale...

HP Recommended

Hi,

I´ve a problem related to changing RAM modules in my Elitebook 5840w. Do you have any suggestions, please?

I want to replace 2x2GB modules (original ones) for 2x4GB (I´ve bought Kingston memory modules which should be compatible with this laptop - EB 5840w is listed in supported and tested devices, so it shoul be even tested directly for this machine).

BUT: when I replaced them and started the NTB, it continually restart over and over again after ca. 3 sec. from turning on.

I tried to:

1) update to new BIOS version (the last one is form 11/11/2015),

2) reset BIOS to deafult,

3) boot from flash drive (to see if the problem is OS-related - I have W10 btw)...

... and nothing changed - it is still restarting itself after a few second from turning on...

If you have similar experience or know how to fix it, I would be more than gratefull to you!

Thanks a lot!

P.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.