Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Good Afternoon,

I am currently stumped on troubleshooting error code lights for a clients hp compaq cq62. I have tried the hard reset, reseating the memory, and even plugging the notebook directly into the wall instead of a surge protector with the battery removed. I cannot find any solution on the HP site or any other forum site for that matter as to what a solid caps lock light and a solid orange light on the f12 key.

Currently I am thinking the client is might need a new back light for the system or a new cpu. Before I come to that conclusion I am hoping there is a more clear solution for my issue. Thank you for any assistance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @NotURt3kSupport ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand you're having issues booting up your clients Compaq CQ62 Notebook PC.

A single blink on the Caps Lock light typically means there is a CPU failure, and requires CPU or motherboard replacement.

Also try going through these documents to troubleshoot startup issues: 

Computer Does Not Start and the LEDs Blink or the Computer Beeps.
Troubleshooting Black Screen Displays with No Error Messages During Startup or Boot.
Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 7, Vista) or Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 😎.

You can tell if the backlight is the issue or startup by plugging in a VGA monitor to see if the screen is displayed or not. If it is, you've got display issues on the notebook. If it doesn't, you're dealing with a CPU, GPU or motherboard issue.

It would also help to know which product and operating system you are using. For information on finding your product and model numbers click here: How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number? To see which version of Windows you are using click here: Which Windows operating system am I running?

In the case of hardware failure I would suggest contacting HP Phone Support for service options. You can contact HP Technical Support at 1-800-474-6836 in North America. For all other regions click here.

Hopefully this information helps! Smiley Happy

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello @NotURt3kSupport ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand you're having issues booting up your clients Compaq CQ62 Notebook PC.

A single blink on the Caps Lock light typically means there is a CPU failure, and requires CPU or motherboard replacement.

Also try going through these documents to troubleshoot startup issues: 

Computer Does Not Start and the LEDs Blink or the Computer Beeps.
Troubleshooting Black Screen Displays with No Error Messages During Startup or Boot.
Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 7, Vista) or Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 😎.

You can tell if the backlight is the issue or startup by plugging in a VGA monitor to see if the screen is displayed or not. If it is, you've got display issues on the notebook. If it doesn't, you're dealing with a CPU, GPU or motherboard issue.

It would also help to know which product and operating system you are using. For information on finding your product and model numbers click here: How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number? To see which version of Windows you are using click here: Which Windows operating system am I running?

In the case of hardware failure I would suggest contacting HP Phone Support for service options. You can contact HP Technical Support at 1-800-474-6836 in North America. For all other regions click here.

Hopefully this information helps! Smiley Happy

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Hello @Great-Deku-Tree

The clients computer uses Windows 7 Home Premium. When I connected the computer to an external display nothing would show up. However, the monitor light would blink on and off. When the system is turned on the power light turns on, so does the caps lock light (it does not blink at all, I stared at it for 5 minutes to make sure I did not miss anything), and the f12 wifi light is one and a solid orange. I am going to assume that the laptop has a processor issue since it does not diplay anything at all even on an external display. Most of the other hardware does boot up like the cd drive, fan, and hard drive. If this is a processor issue then I will let the client know. Thank you.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.