Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hey all,

Having an issue with my HP G62-340US laptop. The computer will power on, but the screen does not turn on, but the caps lock light has a slow constant continuous blink. The indicator light next to the charging port is orange, as is the light next to the wireless button. (There is no numlock on the keyboard for an indicator light)

I have looked at the HP support link for this issue located here:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443366

But was unable to find my specific situation. Any help or insight would be greatly appricieated. 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Try to start the machine without the battery in and just the power adaptor connected. Try to start the machine with just one memory chip installed (if you have two). Try to change the slot of the one memory chip if you only have one. Do a hard reset by removing the battery, power adaptor, pressing in the power button for 1 full minute, reconnect the battery and power adaptor and try again. If that doesn't work, you may have a video chip problem that would require a reflow (I know this isn't your model but it shows you what may be involved):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bnkQNmKauEc#t=4s

Good shops use temperature controlled heat guns at worst and Infra Red reflow stations for more accurate results.  The video was just to give you an idea what may be wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wEVv7p--JDc#t=8s

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may click on the white star in the "Kudos" button for any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Try to start the machine without the battery in and just the power adaptor connected. Try to start the machine with just one memory chip installed (if you have two). Try to change the slot of the one memory chip if you only have one. Do a hard reset by removing the battery, power adaptor, pressing in the power button for 1 full minute, reconnect the battery and power adaptor and try again. If that doesn't work, you may have a video chip problem that would require a reflow (I know this isn't your model but it shows you what may be involved):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bnkQNmKauEc#t=4s

Good shops use temperature controlled heat guns at worst and Infra Red reflow stations for more accurate results.  The video was just to give you an idea what may be wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wEVv7p--JDc#t=8s

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may click on the white star in the "Kudos" button for any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.

HP Recommended
Thanks for the quick tips. I had just ended up removing the battery, putting it back in, and plugged the power back in, letting it charge overnight. I assume it was just a battery issue, as the laptop powered up once the charging port LED turned white indicating power/full charge.
Thanks again for the help
HP Recommended

You can do a minor-level motherboard reflow with towels and blankets. Only do this if nothing else has worked.

Unplug all the components (HDD, RAM, WIFI Card, and Battery). Plug in the power cord. Press the power button. The laptop should still show the same symptoms.

With the laptop on and plugged in, wrap it in a single towel, making sure to cover all the vents. Then wrap it with your warmest blanket.

Set a timer on your phone for 20 minutes. In this time, the computer should be running, but closed and completely wrapped in a towel and a blanket.

Once the 20 minutes is up, unplug the cord and take the laptop out of the towel and blanket. Be careful, if you did it correctly, the computer should be extremely hot. Let the computer cool for 10 - 15 minutes.

Plug everything back in and see if the problem is fixed. Worked for me.

HP Recommended

Hi Is that computer still working. I have exactly the same problem and like yours mine works after heating up with towel.. How long did yours carry on having to be booted up like that with a towel ? Just i want to know how long it will last beofre it may just die ? Thanks in advance.. 🙂

HP Recommended

I wanted to post a reply here because this also worked for me. But first:

I work on a lot of computers - mostly for friends and their friends, and I prefer to do notebook repairs & upgrades. I would guess that I've worked on a least one hundred different laptops over the last 10 years, and have become fairly familiar with certain brands and problems. I've encountered this Caps Lock Blink of Death (CLBoD) before on other HP machines years ago, and after trying everything I knew - I relegated them to the parts bin; scavenge them for anything useful, toss the rest.

This particular notebook would blink once every 2-3 seconds, indicating a CPU failure like the others here. However since I've NEVER experienced a CPU just failing, I assumed it was a motherboard issue. Reluctantly, I disassembled the system, cleaned the fan & heatsink (they were filthy and clogged!), then replaced the thermal paste with fresh Arctic Silver-5. Hoping for the best - I reassembled it and fired it up to the same CLBoD. Frustration is thy name.

So after reading all about the blanket trick, I figured 'what have I got to lose?' and gave it a shot.

I wrapped the notebook in a towel - covering both the inake fan underneath and the exhaust port on the left side. Then I wrapped all of that in a small blanket, leaving the system on for about 20 minutes.

After that - I shut it down and let it cool for about 10 minutes.

Then I powered it up - and it came to life (it was the POST screen showing that it failed to find a boot device since I had removed the HD and DVD drives.)

I put everything back together, booted it up and immediately downloaded and installed the lastest BIOS (rev F.27, up from F.17).

So far I've been able to run it for about 8 hours, restarting every couple hours after removing unwanted programs, installing updates, and running AntiVirus / AntiMalware scans.

Thank you, everybody else on this page who has suffered through the same trouble as I have; and I hope this helps another victim out in the future!

HP Recommended

And then just as I finished writing that last reply, I restart the G62 for some updates to take effect, and I'm back to the CLBoD again.

Well, I guess there's a temporary fix for this - but it's not a permanent one.

HP Recommended

It workeddddddddd!!!!!!!!!!!! I have tried everything for months so today I decide to try again and read this post so I did hard reset took out battery held start button for minute and half to be safe took out both memory cards and put only one back in the other ones spot meaning switched it to the other port for the other memory card and wala!!! it started up perfectly !!! before this i had tried the blanket things heating it up  that didnt work, i tried hard reset thatdidnt work, i tried so many things and what worked was removing the memory and switching it port................. Im so thankful for this post!

HP Recommended
Thank you a million times the towel thing worked, don't know for how long but I'll take what I can get
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.