Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@mission10 wrote:

Thanks a lot for this solution and I hope that Intel is working on this scrap. I should sent Intel an invoice about all these spent hours and about the fact that the PC was not usable at all.

PREACH!  Haha, glad to hear it worked for you after all!

HP Recommended

However, it still is something bothering me.

Some days ago, visiting the Microsoft store, I checked their HP convertibles (mine isn't much older then that models). Of course, I tried to see if they have the same problems - surprise, they don't. So, there is a fix of some sort known in the world of MS/HP/Intel, but unpublished for the general users. I would expect that since MEI ver.11 is the problem, they wouldn't use it, isn't it? I will go again tomorrow to check what version is their MEI.

HP Recommended

@DanG82 thank you for your post it's the only solution that actually works so far
was driving me crazy having to hard-shutdown my laptop each time and lost some work at some point because of it
Cheers

HP Recommended

@VanSSS wrote:

However, it still is something bothering me.

Some days ago, visiting the Microsoft store, I checked their HP convertibles (mine isn't much older then that models). Of course, I tried to see if they have the same problems - surprise, they don't. So, there is a fix of some sort known in the world of MS/HP/Intel, but unpublished for the general users. I would expect that since MEI ver.11 is the problem, they wouldn't use it, isn't it? I will go again tomorrow to check what version is their MEI.

For whatever reason, upgrading from Windows 7/8/8.1 to Windows 10 via the upgrade tool that appears in your notification area results in your computer automatically being updated the faulty version 11 of the MEI driver.

Upgrading via the Media Creation Tool on the Windows website does not result in this update being applied.  Presumably it also is not appled on new computers running Windows 10 from the start.

Why?  I have no idea.  But if you were to "upgrade" the MEI driver on any of the same models capable of having this issue to version 11, regardless of how Windows 1 was initially installed on them, I'm all but certainly they'd experience the same issue.

@Zee12 wrote:

@DanG82 thank you for your post it's the only solution that actually works so far
was driving me crazy having to hard-shutdown my laptop each time and lost some work at some point because of it
Cheers

Glad to hear it!  Many thanks to Zoomelliott, Sibu16, re4med, and everyone else who helped discover a solution.  All I really did was type up the instructions to help explain the fix they developed.  🙂

HP Recommended

thank u .. god bless u

HP Recommended

AFTER UPDATING TO WINDOWS 10 FROM 8.1...MY  HP Pavilion 15-p077tx Notebook PC  IS NOT SHUTDOWNING..ITS GOING TO SLEEPING MODE BY BLINIKING MUTE BUTTON AND POWE BUTTON IS CONTINUSLY ON...

PLEASE  HELP ME

HP Recommended

I dont know its working in all HP systems or not..but  my HP Pavilion 15-p077tx Notebook PC  is shuting down properly by using SOUND MUTE button... i.e, before shutting down system mute the sound using MUTE button (orange light will ON).

HP Recommended

Hi Guys, 

I have HP Pavilion 15 and I just figure out how to solve the sleep and shutdown problem. 

Download the Intel driver update utility and install the latest driver for your graphic cards through it.

It will show you these two drivers:

1- Intel Iris, Intel Iris Pro, and HD Graphics Production driver for Windows 10

2- Intel HD Graphic drivers for Window 10 

let it download and install automatically through Intel drivers update utility, Your computer will restart and Enjoy.....

No more sleep or shutdown problems anymore.. 🙂

HP Recommended

@Mehar_ wrote:

No more sleep or shutdown problems anymore.. 🙂

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but what you did is not a permanent solution.  It's been tried by many here, and it always results in the issue resurfacing after extended use.

Here's a permanent solution (until v12 of the MEI driver is released):

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and-Software/How-to-Resolve-Post-Windows-10-...

HP Recommended

Dear All

Please go to Manage-Device Manager-System Devices-Intel Management Engine Interface.

Uninstall the driver (v11xx).

Download IMEI v9.5 from Intel Support https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23746/Intel-ME-9-Management-Engine-Driver-for-Intel-NUC

Install this driver-Reboot.

All Windows 10 Shutdown and Sleep problem SOLVED......(verifed)

No problem since last seven days

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.