Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
ProBook 450 G2
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Is it possible? Have been Registered with microsoft for a win 10 upgrade, which i was told was possible when i bought the probbok new in may 2015, for a week and a half. Keep getting the msg from the win 10 upgrade app that they are working with partners to ensure the the product works in win 10, and they will notify me when ready.  Do I need to upgrade 1st to win 8, which i don't want, and don't know would preclude a further update to win 10, or what?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Visit the site below and enter the 7 character product number of your pc and check if it is compatible with windows 10.

Link: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ad/windows_10/upgrade.html?jumpid=cp_r163_en/us/pc_cons/win10/update/upgrad...

I'm an HP Employee.The opinions expressed here are my personal opinions, not of HP.
Click on Thumbs up if my post helped you.Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking an answerAccept as Solutionif it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

@Jeff_Cath wrote:

Is it possible? Have been Registered with microsoft for a win 10 upgrade, which i was told was possible when i bought the probbok new in may 2015, for a week and a half. Keep getting the msg from the win 10 upgrade app that they are working with partners to ensure the the product works in win 10, and they will notify me when ready.  Do I need to upgrade 1st to win 8, which i don't want, and don't know would preclude a further update to win 10, or what?

Did you do a HP driver search for your model? I did and it wasn't that hard to do.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=6943827&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4192

A little search on HP driver or google will tell if it has Win10 HP driver support.

-------- Looking for HP driver support When Windows 10 O/S isn't Supported ------
Windows 10 drivers may be available through Windows Update

Click 'Learn More' below for steps on using Windows Update to determine what drivers might be available for your product. Please be aware that HP does not guarantee Windows 10 drivers will be available from Windows Update.
Learn more
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This is a HP USER community forum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, Millions of folks have gone back from Win10 to their prior O/S -- something you don't hear about from MS. by WAWood but ALL to TRUE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Those that want HD Gaming should plan to invest in a Gaming Laptop to handle those requirements. Eamples GTA V or Crysis 3.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

Followed the link, entered my product number L4A10UT#ABA, and received the message:

HP has not tested your PC model for upgrade to Windows 10.

If your Windows 7 or 8 PC was manufactured before August 2013 or is running Windows XP or Windows Vista, HP cannot confirm it can be upgraded to Windows 10.

How do I determine the manufacture date? 

Notebook was bought new at a MicroCenter in May, 2015.

Had been at linked page prior, but selected other option (let HP find product number) and was confused by the return message.

HP Recommended

Although your PC model supports windows 10 the product number seems to not support it as per the link.

If you have a backup of your current operating system (windows 7)

You can do a clean installation of windows 10. Follow the tutorial link below.

Link: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

Please note, you need a windows 8.1 or 7 product key to activate the windows 10 Build 10586.

To get the windows7/8.1 key, you may need to log a ticket with hp tech support.

Chances are that they may give you a windows 8.1 key. Which is fine as long as you don't share it with someone.

Windows 10 can still be used without activation if you intend to use it for home or testing.

In my opinion, you must update your windows 7 os and wait for windows 10 to become available.

I'm an HP Employee.The opinions expressed here are my personal opinions, not of HP.
Click on Thumbs up if my post helped you.Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking an answerAccept as Solutionif it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Understand that the drivers are available for my HP product in Win 10, problem is getting the Win 10 software from MS.  Their upgrade site gives the message that my product has not been tested and they will notify when it has.  I was able to succesfully upgrade an ASUS tablet from win 8.1 to win 10 within the last week.  The HP site referenced in the other reply returns the msg:

If your Windows 7 or 8 PC was manufactured before August 2013 or is running Windows XP or Windows Vista, HP cannot confirm it can be upgraded to Windows 10.

How can I determine the manufacture date?

And/or, does HP have any plans to test those models manufactured prior to August 2013?

Thanks for your reply.

And as an aside, I have been messing with PCs since the Compaq dual floppies, when the OS fit on a 360K single sided floppy disk.  Old-timers has not set in yet.

HP Recommended

@Jeff_Cath wrote:

Understand that the drivers are available for my HP product in Win 10, problem is getting the Win 10 software from MS.  Their upgrade site gives the message that my product has not been tested and they will notify when it has.  I was able to succesfully upgrade an ASUS tablet from win 8.1 to win 10 within the last week.  The HP site referenced in the other reply returns the msg:

How can I determine the manufacture date?

And/or, does HP have any plans to test those models manufactured prior to August 2013?

Thanks for your reply.

And as an aside, I have been messing with PCs since the Compaq dual floppies, when the OS fit on a 360K single sided floppy disk.  Old-timers has not set in yet.

Asus and their support isn't revelant to HP product and making comparison doesn't help.  The only real way for you to know is to use your Product Number at HP driver support and look at supported O/S driver and if yours has Win10 Driver then you will know if you can use Win10 or not. MS wants you to use and buy their latest Win10 but they gurantee no support or help should it not work. If you really want a Win10 laptop go and buy a new Win10 laptop.

-------- Looking for HP driver support When Windows 10 O/S isn't Supported ------
Windows 10 drivers may be available through Windows Update

Click 'Learn More' below for steps on using Windows Update to determine what drivers might be available for your product. Please be aware that HP does not guarantee Windows 10 drivers will be available from Windows Update.
Learn more
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This is a HP USER community forum.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
BTW, Millions of folks have gone back from Win10 to their prior O/S -- something you don't hear about from MS. by WAWood but ALL to TRUE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Those that want HD Gaming should plan to invest in a Gaming Laptop to handle those requirements. Eamples GTA V or Crysis 3.
HP Recommended

You can try this Jeff

Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First

Link: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/23354-clean-install-windows-10-directly-without-having-upgrade-fi...

This will keep your windows Activated and also upgrade without issues.

Probook 450 G2 was launched after 2013, not before.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.