Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Was the audio working in Vista?

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

sorry for the late reply ..

well i have this notebook for a year

it had windows 7 all the way(changed OS from vista to windows 7 in the time a bought it)

it had no problems until i downgraded to xp(dont know why) then i realized windows 7 is much better than upgraded again to win 7

when i had xp my sound used to go and come randomly(so i had sound then later when i restart or reopen my laptop it went)

HP Recommended

It could be a hardware issue, especially since you were having intermittent issues with previous OS. You actually have No entry for "Sound, video and game controllers" ?

Only thing I can think to suggest is doing another clean install to see if anything changes. Maybe Daniel will have some other thoughts on this.

HP Recommended

well just found the sound driver in windows update nvidia thing was probably chipset i installed had sound for a while installed directx 11 restarted my laptop and it went maybe it helps maybe if it doesnt bother you you can look at my computer via teamviewer and i didnt do a clean install.. i just installed on top of the other windows

HP Recommended

Re: Fan stopping issue. DV**** models.

Even before Win7, some DV models had fans that stopped.

There is a Bios update available from HP that (suppossedly) fixes a bad algorythem for the fan. They have/had an online tool to check your bios version and see if you needed to update some while back. 

Backing up and installing the Bios uodate first, before Win7 is a good idea, as Windows Update alone may not solve the issue entirely.

This bios issue was the suspected cause of an HP recall for some video cards/displays on DV**** models, as they fried from the heat.

HP Recommended

Thank you for all your help.

For the display drivers do I install both the intel and Nvidia drivers? Or only the intel becaus i have the intel processor. I have dv2911us.

Also, i downloaded the new ALPS driver for the touchpad, but in the old driver in Vista, I was able to adjust the sensitivity. I can't find how I can do that in the new one. Any one have any ideas? The reason I ask is because, whenever I am typing, i guess I accidently touch the touchpad and it puts the cursor where the mouse is, which becomes very annoying

Thanks

HP Recommended

@Safater

Hi,

May You just confirm then everything is working on Your model under Win7 system. I'm not sure is Your sound working now ok.

Tnx

@Dextro-Middyin

Hi,

I'm not so sure then Your theory about Bios is correct. You must remember then this users wrote then this problem is only under Win7 system, so it means then it was working ok under Vista.

You may always ask this users about Bios versions. Maybe we will find out then You were right.

Tnx for your comment and kind words about this guide in other thread.

@shahas520

Hi,

You've got Intel X3100 graphic so install only driver for Intel graphic.

This information You may find in specifications for Your model.

How to find it instructions in post 1.

Solution on touchpad will give Your for sure Cheryl. If I remember well she has on her model ALPS touchpad too.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon below. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
HP Recommended

@shahas520

I will check on my dv2810  and let you know if I find it. Most of the time I use a wireless mouse and keep the touchpad turned off using the little button,so have not looked for the sensitivity setting yet in Win 7.

--------------------------------------

Update:in Mouse properties on the 'Tappng' tab, at the bottom I have options to select 'Turn off tappng when typing' or a button titled 'Touch Sensitivity'. I think I am using my Vista driver for Alps on this particular Win 7 installation.I have installed it twice testing different sets of drivers. I believe I did use the Alps posted by Daniel on another install, but did not check the settings, since as I mentioned I use a usb mouse most of the time with Touchpad turned off. Maybe I will get a chance sometime soon to try another install....

HP Recommended

Thank you sooo much for posting this thread! It is so useful! All of the drivers I installed seemed to be working fine, except for one. I downloaded and installed the HP Quick LaunchButtons driver, thinking that it would restore the original functionality of the HP Quickplay strip on my laptop (i.e. when I change the volume using the buttons on the strip, it should make a sound and show that the volume is changing on the screen and when I mute, it should light up red on my keyboard), but after restarting the computer, it still doesn't work. Unless that's not what the driver is supposed to do? What do I do?

Thanks in advance for any help!

HP Recommended

I think I managed to fix this problem by installing this (HP QuickTouch): http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-62436-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&...

Although it didn't seem to install properly, it showed up in my list of installed programs and I restarted the computer and the buttons seem to work correctly now, except that there are no clicking sounds when you are increasing/decreasing volume, but it still displays the volume bar changing, so good enough for me.

By the way, I've had the computer heat up after clean installing Windows 7 too and ran updates--it seems to be better now but what is considered a "normal" temperature? And is it strange that after running HWMonitor, there is no section labeled "Fans"?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.