Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP Envy X2

Unable to boot from USB

To Date:

Entered Bios

Secure boot Off

USB moved to Priority 1

Disabled/Enabled powered to USB options

Checked USB, It boots easily on three other test computers

Wiped and restored Win 8 from recovery media (USB)

Tried secure boot "On"

EFI not accepted from USB

;-(

28 REPLIES 28
HP Recommended

Hi:

I believe you have to enable Legacy Mode in the BIOS as well as disabling Secure Boot.

HP Recommended

Turn off secure boot = enables legacy boot (right?)

@Paul_Tikkanen wrote:

Hi:

I believe you have to enable Legacy Mode in the BIOS as well as disabling Secure Boot.

HP Recommended

There should be two independent settings, aren't there?

There are for desktop PC's and I also thought there would be the same for notebooks.

HP Recommended

Nope

Only One 

Secure boot On/Off

@Paul_Tikkanen wrote:

There should be two independent settings, aren't there?

There are for desktop PC's and I also thought there would be the same for notebooks.

HP Recommended

Take a look at this article.

Under the notebook section there is a picture showing a legacy boot function on the right side of the second picture.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03653226

HP Recommended

Re: the 

Secure Boot (Windows 😎

web page:

See the section:

"Using Secure Boot on a notebook computer"

Scroll down to:

"Disabling Secure Boot"

Go to

"Figure 16: Boot Options menu"

Instructions say

"Use the down arrow key to select Secure Boot , press the Enter key, then use the down arrow key to modify the setting to Disabled ."

I have done this, all of this, every step, multiple times

Still cannot boot from USB

Secure boot is disabled

Still cannot boot from USB

HP Recommended

Hi there,

In order to help you better, can you provide the BIOS screenshot? 

Also can you let me know what data is present (OS files, etc) in the USB device that you are connecting.

I am an HP employee.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on “Thumbs Up” STAR to say thanks!***
HP Recommended

I have a HP envy X2, BIOS version F.06, and with rev 5.0 of the InsydeH2O.

I cannot boot into a USB. I've disabled Secure boot, but even enabling it doesn't change at all the situation. I cannot choose the "UEFI Boot order", that option is always shown in black, unselectable. Changing the "USB port Charger Mode" doesn't help either: i've tried all three options.

Pressing F9 at boot gives me to the Boot manager menu, only allowing me to enter setup, as in F10, or exit.

HP Recommended

Hi yop,

I understand that you are having an issue with booting your computer from USB, I would like to assist you with this to get the issue resolved. I just need to ask a couple of questions first.

1. What version of windows are you currently running? Click Here

2. Are any error messages, lights blinking, or sounds coming from the computer when you try to boot the computer up?

Thank you.

I worked on behalf of HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.