Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
pavilion dv6700 entertainment
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)
since upgrading to windows 10 I have lost my audio.....can't play MP3 music and the system sounds do not work...searched for sound card driver and found three recommended...each one reported suitable hardware not found.....decided to reinstall the sound card driver from my windows 7 install, as luckily I backed up all my drivers before upgrading to OS10.....,although it installed, still no sound...have removed device and drivers and let the laptop reinstall after restart.....don't know what else to try.....don't suppose there is a function key muting sound that I don't know about....thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

UPDATE....
just tried the idea of setting frequency to 16bit 9600 but I received no sound output error box....then went to enhancements settings where it has bass etc etc settings, was disabled so enabled it without choosing any option..then went back to frequency and changed it to default, which is 24 bit 19200....then was told not supported by this device but then miraculously it worked....now have all sound restored windows music everything...not sure if still have windows 7 driver...it is MS 2008... really scared to update the driver as it is all now working....not sure how I fixed it though, was it one particular action ? or a combination...? maybe it might help,others...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi there

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome! I just need your specific Model Number (How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?)

I read your post on the HP Support Forums and see that you are having issues with your HP Pavilion dv6700 Entertainment Notebook PC. I understand that since you have upgraded to Windows 10, you are having an issue with your sound not working. I would be happy to assist you.

Please note remove any and all USB devices. Disconnect all non-essential devices, as these could cause some issues.

Have you tried in the Device Manager to update the driver that is currently installed? 

Have you tried to select "Find New Hardware" in the Device Manager?

Have you tried connecting headphones to see if the Sound issues persist that way?

Have you tried to uninstall in the following order:

1. Uninstall the sound driver in Device Manager

2. Restart your Notebook

3. Reinstall the driver?

You can use the HP Support Assistant for drivers. Here is a link to the HP Support Assistant if you need it. Just download and run the application and it will help with the software and drivers on your system that need updating for Windows 10. If you choose to download the drivers from the HP Driver's Page and there is not a driver in the Windows 10 Column, there should be one in the Windows 8.1 column. The Windows 8.1 drivers should work in Windows 10 also. 

Have you tried the Disable and then Enable method?

Capture.PNG

If not, you can find this and other troubleshooting steps in the HP Notebook PCs - No Sound from Speakers (Windows 10, 😎 document. 

Please follow these provided troubleshooting steps, re-post and let me know how everything went.

Thank you!

Have a great day!

EmeraldAvenger
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

What Emerald said was sound advice. However when Upgrading to Windows 10, a generic driver for sound should have been installed as units shipped with Windows 7 conform to Microsoft's High Definition Audio Standards. If you still don't have audio, check Windows Updates for any drivers if they exist for your unit. Keep in mind these third party drivers may not be certified by HP and may behave differently then what HP issued for their system. 

Additionally you may find that there is no support for your sound card under Windows 10. 

In this case, you can find a very cheap / generic USB sound card online for not too much money. I won't post links here but if you heard of a well known auction site you can find them there. I've used these for customers I've helped through my computer repair business when upgrading to a new OS axes sound functionality all together. 

HP Recommended

UPDATE....
just tried the idea of setting frequency to 16bit 9600 but I received no sound output error box....then went to enhancements settings where it has bass etc etc settings, was disabled so enabled it without choosing any option..then went back to frequency and changed it to default, which is 24 bit 19200....then was told not supported by this device but then miraculously it worked....now have all sound restored windows music everything...not sure if still have windows 7 driver...it is MS 2008... really scared to update the driver as it is all now working....not sure how I fixed it though, was it one particular action ? or a combination...? maybe it might help,others...
HP Recommended
don't think I really want to change a laptop sound card, especially as it is integrated with the motherboard...

I love and hate windows 10....seems very responsive OS but angry and compulsory forced OS and driver updates
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.