Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion g6-d5m15ea
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Hi. The wifi adapter stops working suddenly while i'm working on my notebook PC. Sometimes it shows limited connectivity and sometimes no ethernet symbol shows. I checked my device driver and it showed the product is stopped. it didnt help when i disabled and then enabled again. It sometimes helps when i click troubleshoot in network settings and sometimes only restrarting the computer helps.

Another problem that im having with my notebook PC is that its touchpad suddenly haults. the cursor doesnt move. if i attatch another mouse then only i can move the cursor. sometimes even then it takes some time for the cursor to move. only restarting the computer helps. 

I tried to update the drivers from device manager but it said they are up to date. I searched and searched for my device number on the website to search for the drivers from there but didnt find the page.

I just want to get rid of these two issues.I bought this computer in June 2013 from Kuwait.(if this helps finding the product:))

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello @Ambreen_Bukhari,

I have read your post on how your notebook's wireless adapter stops working all of a sudden, and that your touchpad will lock up. I would be happy to assist you in this matter!

To re-establish a consistent connection between your notebook and the network, I recommend following this document on Troubleshooting Wireless Network and Internet (Windows 😎. This should help run a diagnostic on your system using the Network and Internet Troubleshooter, as well as steps to keep your system on the wireless network.

Additionally, I also suggest following the steps below to ensure your power management settings are not interfering with

your network connection:

1. Open DEVICE MANAGER
2. Open up NETWORK ADAPTERS
3. Right click on the WiFi Adapter for the pc and left click on PROPERTIES
4. Click on POWER MANAGEMENT at the top.
5. Remove the check mark beside : ALLOW THE COMPUTER TO TURN OFF THIS DEVICE TO SAVE POWER
6. Click OK
7. Close DEVICE MANAGER and test.

NOTE: It may also be checked under the FAMILY CONTROLLER (eg. Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller which would be listed under the WiFi Card). If so, you could remove the check mark beside ALLOW THE COMPUTER TO TURN OFF THIS DEVICE TO SAVE POWER.

If the issue persists, I recommend following the steps below, starting with a flush of the DNS:

Step 1. Click the Start button
Step 2. In the search box, type "Command Prompt"
Step 3. Right-click Command Prompt

Step 4. Click Run as administrator
Step 5. At the command prompt, type "ipconfig /release" and press Enter

Step 6. Type in the command "ipconfig /flushdns"

Was this successful? If not, I would like you to  reset the TCP/IP stack. To do this follow the next set of steps I have set out below:

Step 1. Click the Start button
Step 2. In the search box, type "Command Prompt"
Step 3. Right-click Command Prompt

Step 4. Click Run as administrator
Step 5. Type "netsh winsock reset catalog" and hit Enter
Step 6. Type "netsh int ip reset reset.log" and hit Enter
Step 7. Restart your computer

Next, if none of the above works I would like you to try to Install Windows updates in Windows 8. I would recommend you ensure all updates are done.

reference: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Notebook-PC-Questions/Laptop-disconnests-from-internet-unable-to-...

In regards to the touchpad, I recommend following the steps in this document on Using and Troubleshooting the TouchPad or ClickPad (Windows 😎. This should help return the functionality to your touchpad's cursor.

Please re-post with the results of your troubleshooting, and I look forward to your reply!

Regards Smiley Happy

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

hi. i tried the wifi solution. It did'nt give me a problem after that dns flush and then the netsh reset catalog commands. (i remember the problem started after i made a hotspot of my laptop. i did a refresh of windows 8 but it didnt help then.should i try making hotspot again? as some error used to occur when i created hotspot)

About the touchpad. my drivers seem up to date on the device manager. i cant find the page of my laptop on hp site to dowload the latest. but the touchpad stopped again. then i did the hard reset option. i've yet to c if it locksup again.

thanx for helping.:)

HP Recommended

Hi again Ambreen_Bukhari,

It is good to hear back from you!

Since the steps above did not resolve the wireless connection, I recommend following this document on Connecting to a 3G WWAN network with Connection Manager 3.x. Additionally, I also suggest using this software package:HP Wireless Hotspot Software, to connect your system to a wireless hotspot.

If you are still not able to connect to your 3G hotspot, I recommend contacting your 3G provider for further assistance, as well as testing your system on a wireless router network to test the wifi radio.

Please re-post with the results of your troubleshooting, as well as the requested information above. I look forward to your reply!

Regards Smiley Happy

MechPilot
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.