Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Is there a better way to clean the fan area beyond the use of compressed air through the vents?
HP Recommended

I have an hp pavillion G6 laptop and the fan seems to have stopped working. I turn it on and it stays on for 15 seconds and shuta off. Says its overheating.  Is it possible for me to remove the back and clean or check the fan?

HP Recommended

@Pelican1218,

I have heard people using devices that actually suck the dust and particulars out. (Ex. Vacuum Cleaner) I wouldn’t recommend that. You can use an air compressor but you don’t want to have the pressure up that high, and you don’t want to hold the nozzle close to the computer. The safest way would be to use a can of compressed air.

Please respond back at your earliest convenience.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
HP Recommended

@jjmdmm,

You state the fan is not working and the computer is overheating, is that correct? I will try to help you.

You can break the computer down and clean the fan. Can you provide the full make and model of the computer you have so I can provide you the necessary documentation. If you aren’t sure where to locate that information have a look at this link for help.

Thanks

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
HP Recommended

The fan actually works fine, although sometimes very fast as when the laptop is getting extra hot.  The problem is excess heat during use.

The unit informaiton is:

Model #: e9280t

Product #: AW020AV-ABA

Serial #: {Private Information Removed}

type: 64 bit

The temporary fix, or crutch, that I use is to remove the battery if the power cord is attaced to the laptop and I do not use it in contact with my lap or my desk at all.  Seems silly for a "lap top computer".

HP Recommended
Sorry, I responded to the answer for the person with the failed fan. My bad.
HP Recommended

@Pelican1218,

I would like you to check your current version of BIOS that is installed. Have a look at the screenshots below that will help you check your version.

bios1.PNG

bios3.PNG

Please respond back at your earliest convenience with your current BIOS version information.

Thanks

HP Recommended

I just check the BIOS and the information listed is:

Hewlett-Packard F.13, 12/3/2009

This is, I am sure, the BIOS installed at the time of the build. 

Sorry, this is my wifes laptop and I do not have the purchase date handy but it seems like we bought them two years ago.

HP Recommended

@Pelican1218

Thank you for that information.

Now you mentioned the e9280t is what you have, is that what we are working on because that is a desktop computer and your saying “this is your wife's laptop”. Kind of confused right now on what type of computer we are working on. 

Thanks

HP Recommended
Sorry about that. The laptop is actually: HP Pavilion dv7, x64
The bios version is the same as for the desktop: HP F.13, 12/3/2009
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.