Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have an 8 month sleekbook 15-b040sl running Windows 8 that never gave me any problem so far.

Today without me changing anything (I didn't even plugged off the notebook from the AC) the ac adapter light (the one that turns orange when the battery is under charge) started blinking white with the pc turned off. Btw the battery is connected.

I turned on the PC and the light is still blinking white, but so far the PC seems to be operating correctly without any error message or anomaly.

I'm still worried about this flashing light though, so I wonder if there's something I can do to solve this issue, or at least understand what caused it, and if I should send it to the techincal assistance.

Thanks in advance for the help

EDIT:: I doubt this may help but just in case.

the white light flashes once each second, but removing the power cord while the laptop is alimented by the battery and switched off, causes the light to stay on for 35 seconds and off for 25 seconds. If I turn on the laptop with battery without ac cord it starts blinking again once each second

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello  @Iaaf ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand the power input light on your notebook has been acting funky lately. 

I took a look at your products user guide and found the following information on the power adapter light:

• White: The AC adapter is connected and the battery is charged.
  • Blinking white: The battery has reached a low battery level.
  • Amber: The AC adapter is connected and the battery is charging.
  • Off: The computer is using DC power.

If the notebook is running on battery power and is not charging the adapter light will blink white. If the adapter blinks white while the adapter is connected this could be a sign that the adapter is not charging the battery. Have you noticed if the battery icon in your taskbar shows the battery is charging or not? 

You may need to perform a hard reset:

1. Turn off the notebook.
  2. Disconnect the AC adapter.
  3. Remove the battery.
  4. Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds.
  5. Reconnect the battery.
  6. Reconnect the AC adapter.
  7. Power on the notebook.

You may also want to test and calibrate your battery. You can see information on doing this here: Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 😎.

Let me know if this helps! Smiley Happy

-Edited to add battery test and calibration document.

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello  @Iaaf ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand the power input light on your notebook has been acting funky lately. 

I took a look at your products user guide and found the following information on the power adapter light:

• White: The AC adapter is connected and the battery is charged.
  • Blinking white: The battery has reached a low battery level.
  • Amber: The AC adapter is connected and the battery is charging.
  • Off: The computer is using DC power.

If the notebook is running on battery power and is not charging the adapter light will blink white. If the adapter blinks white while the adapter is connected this could be a sign that the adapter is not charging the battery. Have you noticed if the battery icon in your taskbar shows the battery is charging or not? 

You may need to perform a hard reset:

1. Turn off the notebook.
  2. Disconnect the AC adapter.
  3. Remove the battery.
  4. Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds.
  5. Reconnect the battery.
  6. Reconnect the AC adapter.
  7. Power on the notebook.

You may also want to test and calibrate your battery. You can see information on doing this here: Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 😎.

Let me know if this helps! Smiley Happy

-Edited to add battery test and calibration document.

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply @Great-Deku-Tree .

You were correct: I checked the windows icon, and it's not charging the battery

While executing your steps, removing and replugging the battery, the AC light switched to the correct amber light.

The test result reported a Replace (42) error before I unplugged it, and an OK (0) after the disconnect and reconnect

After the disconnection hp battery check reports PASSED

Do I still need to calibrate the battery?

Also is this odd behaviour an hint of malfunction in the battery? Should I send in to the technical support?

HP Recommended

Hey laaf,

I still think it's in your best interest to calibrate the battery if it hasn't been done recently. If the issue seems to have gone away I would leave it for now (unless your warranty is ending soon) and see if the issue returns. If the notebook is out of warranty save your money and wait to see if the issue returns.

If your warranty ends in the next few weeks it would be worth while contacting HP Phone Support for service options while still covered. You can contact HP Technical Support at 1-800-474-6836 in North America. For all other regions click here.

Thanks! 🙂

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended
Hi.
I have the same issue, except my battery is built in. What can I do? I tried getting it out, but the bottom cover just doesn't come off. It's hp envy 360 touch screen. Please help.

Thanks
Z.M
HP Recommended

Powerbook 450 G1 Battery light blinks white  Hard reset worked once  but on next start problem was back and now reset doesn't work,  any ideas?  Won't start black screen

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.