Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Envy 3350
Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Macbook Air with OS X cannot configure with HP Envy 5530 wireless printer.

Error message shows when trying to configure the device during setup: "the wireless network settings were successfully downloaded to your device. However, your Mac was unable to locate the device on the network".

My Mac can not locate the device in "printers and scanners" in systems preference. The printer is able to connnect to the internet when I use the install wizard on the actual printer device, but my laptop and printer cannot configure. 

I am using a public University internet and am therefore not able to accesss an actual router.

Thanks for any help! 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello @Emily2438743947,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I understand that you're experiencing issues when trying to configure your HP ENVY 5530 e-All-in-One Printer on the wireless network with your Mac OS X 10.9 Computer. I would like to offer my assistance with resolving this issue today. Now there is a strong possibility that this network will not allow you to connect your printer successfully because it is a public University Network. Your HP Envy is a consumer grade home and home office printer. It is supported on a basic network with just a router. Now, it should still work fine on a larger network, but being that you're in a University the network is going to be significantly more advanced than a basic home network. There are most likely switches and servers also in the equation that can create connection conflicts. The ultimate goal will be to get your printer and your Mac computer 'talking' wirelessly on the same network.

Part of troubleshooting is going to be to powercycle the network. This entails going to the actual router and unplugging the power cable for 30 seconds. I understand that being that this is a University network this will not be an option for you to do. Therefore, I am going to skip this step for now.

Step 1: Reset Printer:

1. On your printer display select the Setup button (wrench) at the top
  2. Select Wireless
  3. Select Restore Network Defaults. Allow the Network Defaults to restore.

Once the restore is complete, please proceed to the next step.

Step 2: Connect Printer:

1. On your printer display select the Setup button (wrench) at the top again
  2. Select Wireless
  3. Select Wireless again, and ensure that this is set to ON
  4. Next, choose Wireless Setup Wizard
  5. Select the Network Name SSID of the University network you want to connect the printer to. This has to be the exact same network that your computer is on.
  6. Next, enter the Wireless Password (key). This password is case sensitive.
  7. Once the status of the printer shows as connected, proceed to the next step.

Step 3: Check Connectivity:

1. On your printer display select the Setup button again
  2. Select Wireless
  3. Select View Wireless Details
  4. Take note of the IP Address that displays
  5. On your Mac open up the internet browser
  6. In the address bar type in the printers IP Address. Do not include the www.
  7. Search to that website.
  8. The printers website (EWS Browser) should open up.
  • If the printers website opens: This indicates that the printer and computer are communicating wirelessly. Please click here to download the drivers for your printer. Once the download is complete please run through the installation. Everything should go through successfully now.

• If the printers website fails to open: This indicates that the printer and computer are not communicating wirelessly. Should this be the case than the next step would be to powercycle the network and to check some settings on the router. You will need to speak with the University IT dept to do this for you. I will list the details on how to perform the powercycle of the network and what settings to check on the network below.

How to Properly Powercycle a Network:

1. First, unplug the power cable to your Router
2. Once your Router is unplugged, turn off your printer
3. Next, shut down your computer
4. After 30 seconds to 1 minutes, plug your Router back in
5. Next, turn on your printer
6. Turn on the computer

After a few minutes the internet connection will return on your computer. Make sure you can browse to websites before continuing. Once your internet is working, gather the IP Address off the printer again and try to access the printers website. If the website opens successfully you should be able to install the printer wirelessly.

Router Settings to Check:

The following Ports must be opened:

• Incoming (UPD) Ports:

137, 138, 161, 427

• Outgoing (TCP) Ports:

137, 139, 427, 9100, 9220, 9500

Also ensure that:

1. Mac Filtering needs to be OFF on the router
  2. Firmware on router needs to be updated
  3. 2ghz is enabled. HP Printers do not support 5ghz connections
  4. Also ensure that you are not connected to a guest network. Wireless printers do not have access to print if connected to a guest network.

Please let me know if the steps I've provided resolve your connectivity issue. Good luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I have tried everything...except pulling my hair out...and that may be next...and still can not print from my macbook Air to my HP 5530. I followed all the steps posted in this forum and when i rebooted my router, printer, and computer...I was able to type in the printer ip address in my brouser and it did make it the HP page. So, my computer and printer see each other. I was even able to print a test page from the ip address HP page. However, when I try to print a word document on the 5530... no luck. I have spent the better part of a day now trying to resolve this problem and it still will not work. Oh and BTW, I downloaded the latest drivers/software for the printer and followed the on-screen directions to install. When it gets to the page where it looks for my device...i.e., my macbook....it just spins the little spinnie thing and never shows my mac. I also tried doing it manually...no luck. I used the Bonjour name, ip address, etc...etc... I still cant print. If someone can help me with this I would be eternally greatful....especially since this problem seems to be taking an eternity!

:0)

Thanks in advance,

Doug

HP Recommended

Hello Doug!

Am experiencing exactly the same problem between my Mac Airbook and HP Envy 5530 printer that you reported back in December and have followed all the steps suggested to you - to no avail. 

Did you have any joy in the end or which course of action did you eventually take as I'm at my wit's end!!!!!!!!!!! :HalfEyes:                         

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.