Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I bought and jsut setup an HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M177fw.  

We are a Mac household, and we connect via wireless to the printer, which works great. 

My issue is scanning.  On the little screen on the printer, I can copy, print and even fax.  No option for scanning.  There is some bullsh*t app that I've had to download via HP called Readiris, which is useless.  There is no apparent way to initiate a scan via this app. 

So I've bought a multifunction printer that doesn't scan.  Any help?  

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi jjami, 

There is no scan to computer on this model of laserjet. You can scan using the software which was installed on your Mac computer. Please refer to the document below for more details.

How to Scan: OS X

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

It doesn't scan?! 

Below is the text from the first page of the first link one clicks on about this printer.  How _on earth_ is one supposed to deduce pre-purchase that it doesn't scan from the main menu?  Argh.  As an HP employee myself, this is aggravating in the extreme. 

Ok, venting aside, this link <http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03967506 is not offering a solution. 

I am running OSX 10.9.1. I am unable to find the Full Driver to donwload in order to connect to this printer in a manner that would enable any of the 3 methods of scanning (Via Preview, Image Capture, etc.) to work.  Can you please provide a link to the Full Driver for this MFP M177fw for Mac OSX 10.9?  Thanks.

***  Start copied text from online website on HP printer ***

This affordable HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP brings vibrant color printing
in-house, and boosts productivity with Ethernet connectivity. Enable easy
printing at work, home, or on the go with mobile printing features.1

Print speed:4
Black: Up to 17 ppm; Color: Up to 4 ppm
Scan resolution: Up to 1200 x 1200 dpi (hardware); Up to 1200 x 1200 dpi
(optical)
Copy resolution: Black (text): Up to 300 x 300 dpi; Black (graphics): Up to
400 x 600 dpi; Color (text and graphics): Up to 300 x 300 dpi
Display: 3.0" LCD (color graphics)
Standard connectivity: Hi-Speed USB 2.0 port; built-in Fast Ethernet
10/100Base-TX network port; Wireless 802.11b/g/n
Duty cycle:5
Up to 20,000 pages

HP Recommended

Hi,

Sorry for th inconvenience caused. For Mac 10.9, you can either use Mac in-OS driver to scan (add Airprint driver from System Preference- Printer and Scanner) without install HP SW or us HP scan utility after install SW from here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=kj-124923-2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...=

Wish this can help. Please let me know if any question.

HP Recommended

Yes, you can scan using the HP Color laser jet pro MFP M177fw on a MAC.

Open up the Preview application. 

Click file > Import from scanner> 

From here a window will pop up for scanning. A box at the bottom will be checked for document feeder.

Put your document in the feed on the top of your printer. Click scan. The printer will intake the document, scan it, the doc will be output to the tray, and preview will display it.

From here you can export the file to PDF or other types of docs.

HP Recommended
I tried scanning multiple documents via Wifi using the feeder and the problem is that my Mac can keep up with the scan speed. It falls behind and when the last of 12 pages is scanned it gets stuck at page 7( maybe the scanner stops sending data or so) On an older Macbook it's even worse as it gets stuck on the second page of a 12 page doc.

Any idea?
I'm using the scan utility directly from the printer menu ..
HP Recommended

HP

I bought this MFP M177 three weeks ago and have ahd nothing but problems!!

I as specifically sold this product that it has a built in scanner adn i could easily set this up myself. No on cares about FAx these days but must have scanners.

there were NO instructions about scanner set up in the product brochure. My software disk set up didnt work. I then spent three hours in total on email chat with HP helpers !! No one has ever explained to me that this product does not in fact come with a scanner but I have to go through a complicated process of searching applications and files in order to simply scan. I have zero technical knowledge and am very very unhappy i have had to sepnd hours of time trying to understand how to simply scan.

Am considering reporting HP and your distributer to Consumer Council for misleading sales. Your staff said they would send me notes on how to scan which I have not recived. the most helpful is from a student on this blog!!!

Could HP please address my unhappiness????

HP Recommended

Hi @HKHP ,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post ( serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for this! Simple and clear instructions and no bs!

HP Recommended

I was disappointed to learn that my newly installed HP laserjet M177fw doesn't allow me to scan documents.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.