Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Need your help:

details for HP Troubleshooters:

• Which version did you start with? New pc w/Vista SP2 64 Bit with all updates installed
  • Which version of Windows 7 did you end up installing?  n/a  afraid to upgrade to Win 7 given issues in this thread
  • What hp printer was installed in old version of windows?  n/a fresh install on new pc model PSC 1510 & PSC 1200
  • Where did the installed software for the printer come from?  Web Download

If CD if you can find it now what is the number written on it?  n/a 

If web download approximatly when you downloaded it? reinstalled yesterday 010210

• How is the printer connected to your PC? USB
  • Any other printers installed on your PC?  yes PSC 1200 Series
  • Lastly the version of the printer driver that is currently installed that will not enable you to print?  HP PSC 1500 Series (61.53.25.9)

Can print few random text documents in Outlook 2003; but not consistent.  Cannot print from other apps.  IE & Firefox pages print first few lines, then stalls out.  Cannot print Scanned Docs.

Also running Windows Defender, Zone Alarm Internet Security, HP Printer Diagnostic downloaded today 010310; MS Fix It downloaded yesterday 010210

HP Recommended

:smileyvery-happy:Finally fixed printing failures and spooling issues on PSC 1510 running Vista SP2 64 bit

1. Unable to uninstall printer due to printer queue docs; could not cancel print jobs, except with HP Printer Diagnostic
  2. Could not manually turn off printer with power button; Blinking power light
  3. Unplugged printer from power source to reset; Power light now steady (no blinking)
  4. Control Panel > Printers > Check mark in PSC 1510 box > Delete this printer at Toolbar on top
  5. PSC 1510 printer deleted successfully
  6. Repeat #4 for PSC 1200 Series printer
  7. PSC 1200 Series printer Deleted
  8. Control Panel > Printers > File > Run as Administrator > Server Properties > Drivers > Highlight PSC 1500 Series Driver > Remove > OK
  9. PSC 1500 printer Driver removed successfully
  10. Repeat #8 for PSC 1200 Series printer
  11. PSC 1200 Series driver removed successfully
  12. Reboot pc
  13. Let Vista reinstall the printer only the PSC 1510 printer
  14.  Prints successfully IE, Outlook, etc.
  15. Scanned docs print successfully.

After 3 days wasted on troubleshooting this beast!  Maybe HP can send me some free ink...

Best of luck to you all with your beast.

HP Recommended

I followed the previous instructions again but still no luck.  Same error:

"System Error

The document cannot be printed due to a system error.  Try printing again.  If unsuccessful, restart Windows and try printing again."

I know the printer is communicating with my PC because it acts like it has printed something, the mechanism moves about the time the document should print.

I am debating about upgrading to Win 7 to see if this doesn't solve the problem.  Somewhere along the line something crazy happened because one day I could print and then the next I couldn't.

I did a system restore back to where I know it was working and still no luck. 

HP Recommended

Gravesdiggers, have you tried running MS Fix It?  Choose the Print Fix It option

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/mats/?ln=en-us#tab0

HP Recommended

Thanks for the help but that only works on Vista, not XP.  Any other suggestions would be most appreciated!  This situation is so ridiculously frustrating.

HP Recommended

Did you get Windows Defender uninstalled via the Add/Remove Programs option?  I was running XP SP3 on and old pc and did not have any problems with printing until 121909 when I bought a new pc with Vista running.  BTW, I was running Windows Defender on the XP pc.  Does Defender have an exclamation mark on the icon?  This would mean that you have pending changes to be approved by Defender.

HP Recommended

I can't even find Defender to uninstall it.  It doesn't show up anywhere.  I have searched and searched...no luck.

HP Recommended

It  looks like you have uninstalled Defender.  Defender was not causing me any problems on XP or now on Vista, so maybe you can eliminate that part of your frustration.

Consider running MS Onecare Cleanup Scanner to throughly clean the registry.  It cleans & repairs like no other.  It works for XP, Vista, & Win 7.  And it is very fast on XP.  On Vista & Win 7 it runs the full service scan which takes a while depending on your configuration & data storage.  It is worth the price.  FREE.

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/cleanup.htm

HP Recommended

Thanks so much, I am actually running it right now.

HP Recommended

One Scan didn't find any problems.  Darn!  Was hoping it would fix the problem.  Any other suggestions anybody?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.