Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

The printer is used from a HP Pavilion running Vista and a HP laptop running Win 7.  It is configured on a wireless LAN.

I have had the printer for a year and am very very happy with it, but:

Recently the control panel has stopped working properly.

It does not finish the boot process and remains with the little blue HP graphic on the screen.

The printer continues to print properly from both computers.

On the Vista machine I can run the HP Envy 110 series support application and access ink levels, preferences and scan properly.

On the Win 7 machine the support application doesn't seem complete. I don't get the imbedded links for functions like "See what's printing", "Set preferences", "Estimated Ink Levels", and others. And I can't scan from this machine.

I have power cycled the printer a number of times.

Is there a secret way to reset the printer so some default configuration that might boot properly whe the control panel is not available?

I consider myself at least Mid-Level capable, both for PC work and networks.

I am not aware of any HW or SW changes other than the frequent patches issued by Microsoft.

Thx,

Jim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello Jim,

I will send you a private message and let me know if my suggestion helps.

--Cass

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Hello Jim,

I will send you a private message and let me know if my suggestion helps.

--Cass

HP Recommended

Thanks for all the help VisionAiry!

We didn't get the control panel working, it's probably broken and since the machine is out of warranty, I'm going to be satisfied with using the web interface to the machine.

But you gave me lots of feedback and ideas.

Thx,

Jim

HP Recommended

why would you not publically post your solution so others can be helped? I'm having the same problem. 

HP Recommended
why would you not publically post your solution so others can be helped? I'm having the same problem.
HP Recommended

I will gladly help you. The reason it is against policy to post reset procedures is because they can put the printer in a volatile menu/state that could completely brick your printer.  

--Printer Resets: What You Should Know--

The previous user specifically asked for a secret reboot and publicly posted the reset did not work but that it did prove his printer was broken beyond repair.  *That does not mean you cannot fix yours.  

1. Do you also have the Envy 114 All-in-one D411c printer?  
  2. How is the printer connected (USB, wireless, or Ethernet)?
  3. Can you print from your PC?

Please specify in more detail about what is wrong with your control panel so I can determine if the reset is what you need to do. If your printer is printing wirelessly but you cannot use the touch screen you would NOT want to do a reset because it will knock it off of the home network and you will not be able to get it back on.  THAT is why this information is not freely given away because it is not always the best solution.  Still, answer those questions for me please and I will be more than happy to assist you.

HP Recommended

ok sorry I understand now and thanks for the quick reply. Actually I have the HP 120 Envy All in one. I am connected directly via USB. I have not tried printing from PC, I mostly need it for copying capability and since I can't use the touch menu I did not try anything else. I also don't have the printer infront of me it's at my shop, so if you could just give me troubleshooting instructions I can try when I get there.

On the blue screen of the control panel / touch screen there is an error code: C4EBA7C1

I tried powering off/on and one time I got another type of error but the HP logo had appeared but, it said to turn off/on the printer I belive due to an error. Then I disconnected power cord, wait about 30 seconds plug back in and power up but, same blue screen. 

Thanks

@VisionAiry wrote:

I will gladly help you. The reason it is against policy to post reset procedures is because they can put the printer in a volatile menu/state that could completely brick your printer.  

--Printer Resets: What You Should Know--

The previous user specifically asked for a secret reboot and publicly posted the reset did not work but that it did prove his printer was broken beyond repair.  *That does not mean you cannot fix yours.  

1. Do you also have the Envy 114 All-in-one D411c printer?  
  2. How is the printer connected (USB, wireless, or Ethernet)?
  3. Can you print from your PC?

Please specify in more detail about what is wrong with your control panel so I can determine if the reset is what you need to do. If your printer is printing wirelessly but you cannot use the touch screen you would NOT want to do a reset because it will knock it off of the home network and you will not be able to get it back on.  THAT is why this information is not freely given away because it is not always the best solution.  Still, answer those questions for me please and I will be more than happy to assist you.

HP Recommended

You are very welcome. I'm always happy to help.  Since this printer is stuck on that error message, you may not be able to access the reset menu anyway. Try this step first as you must get past this error before much else can be done.  

These are the steps for a hard reset/power drain. This has been known to work if this can be fixed at all.  

1.  Remove all of the ink from inside the printer.  This is a little trick for when you power it back on, the printer will try to search for the ink rather than get stuck on the blue screen.

2.  Unplug the printer from the back of the unit while it is powered on.

3.  Unplug the power cord from the wall/surge protector.

4.  Seperate the cord from the module if the power cord seperates in the middle.

5.  Let this sit for a few hours even.  The purpose is to give the module time to reset completely.

6.  Next, make sure to plug the power cord directly into a wall outlet after it is put back together in the middle.

7.  Lastly, plug it into the back of the printer.  Let me know if anything changes.  

I will go ahead and set the expectation that this likely occured due to a firmware interruption, lightning strike, or extreme malfunction.  That error along with the blue screen is nothing nice.  You may benefit from calling in to HP tech support but I will try some of my tricks so that others like you with this problem can try them on the public forums. I'm more than happy to offer that at the very least. 🙂

HP Recommended

well looks like last week I had left the printer unplugged, so for the whole week it was unplugged and when i went back in today and plugged it in, and powered on, it booted up just fine, no errors. 

HP Recommended

Oh that is great news! :OpenSmile: I don't want to risk upsetting the stability of its current state if it is working right now but if this happens again, feel free to let me know.  I have signed up for email alerts, so if you reply, I can send you instructions on a reset to try as long as the printer is in a working state.  I hope it remains this way for you, though, and let me know if I can assist you further.

Happy Printing!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.