Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4500
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Install desktop icon so I can scan documents.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello @jb-007,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I would like to assist you today with installing the Full Feature Software and Driver package for your HP ENVY 4500 e-All-in-One Printer on your Windows 8.1 computer so you will be able to scan through the HP Printer Assistant software. The HP Printer Assistant software installs at the same time as when you install your printer. If you simply went to 'Add a Printer' under the Devices and Printers folder on your computer the basic print only capabilities will be added in, but no software. Therefore, I am going to have you start troubleshooting by temporarily removing the HP Envy printer icon from Devices and Printers. Once we have a clean slate to work with I will be walking you through installing the Full Feature Driver and Software package for your printer. Once the installation is complete you will have all the capabilities for your device. Please follow the steps below.

Step 1: Remove Device:

This step will only temporarily remove your printer from your computer. If you fail to remove the copy of the printer from the computer, once we run the installation of your device you will have multiple copies of your printer installed. Therefore, to avoid future confusion I am going to have you start by deleting the copy currently installed.

1. Open your Start screen by selecting the Windows icon on the bottom left of your computer screen or by selecting the Windows key on the bottom left of your keyboard, to the right of the Ctrl button
  2. Once the Start screen opens type Devices and Printers. Click Devices and Printers to open the window
  3. Under Devices and Printers look for your HP Envy. Once you see your printer please right click on it and select 'Remove Device' or 'Delete'
  4. If you're using a USB Cable connection between your printer and computer, please disconnect that cable now.
  5. Close Devices and Printers once your printer is deleted

Step 2: Clear Temp Files:

1. Open your Start screen by selecting the Windows icon on the bottom left of your computer screen or by selecting the Windows key on the bottom left of your keyboard, to the right of the Ctrl button
  2. Once the Start screen opens type Run. Click Run to launch the Run dialogue box
  3. In the Run box type %temp% and click OK
  4. Once the Temp folder opens, select Ctrl + A at the same time on your keyboard. Everything in this folder will now highlight.
  5. Select the 'delete' button on your keyboard. The Temp folder contains temporary internet files. No actual files or folders on your computer will be affected by deleting the Temp files. Should a Temp file still be used than you will automatically get the pop up to 'skip' that item.
  6. Close the Temp folder once it is emptied
  7. Right click the Recycling Bin on your desktop and select Empty Recycling Bin

Step 3: Install Device:

1. Please click here to download the Full Feature Software and Driver package for your printer
  2. Once the download is complete please follow the onscreen instructions to install your printer
  3. If using a USB Cable connection, do not plug in the USB Cable until the installer prompts you to

Once the installation is complete you should have an HP Printer Assistant icon on your computer desktop. Click on the HP Printer Assistant icon. Once the software opens click Scan a Document or Photo to launch the HP Scan software. For full instructions on how to utilise the HP Scan software on your computer please click here.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. You can also click the 'thumbs up' icon at the bottom to say "thanks for responding!". I look forward to hearing from you! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.