Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp laserjet 1012
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Windows 10 lists my hp laserjet 1012 as "unassigned" in the driver lists, so I can't print to it.  Can it be reassigned to "printers"?

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Sure.

But the easiest way to accomplish this goal is to uninstall and reinstall your printer using the HP installation wizard.  Download the latest software and drivers from http://support.hp.com.  Or use the HP Support Assistant for a more automated and customized installation process.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

HP Recommended

Except ... the Installation Wizard doesn't support the 1012 and HP is apparently not goimg to provide a Windows 10 compatible driver.

HP Recommended

In which case you can use any of the common work arounds:

1. Install a print driver for a similar model that is supported on Win10

2. Install the drivers from a previous OS

3. Download generic print drivers from Microsoft Updates

4. Install a Universal Print Driver from HP

5. Retire your printer and purchase a new one that is supported on Win10

6. Roll back your Win10 install to the previous OS until model specific drivers are developed

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

HP Recommended

Turns out it was as simple as removing the old driver (listed in "Other Devices"), and unpluging/replugging the printer usb.  The driver automatically downloaded into printers, and it is working fine.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

Glad you were able to figure out the problem.

To help the community please mark one of the posts as your solution.  Solutions are brought to the very top of the thread so that future readers can skip the troubleshooting and get right to the answer.  They also help HP analyze trends and determine if they can do anything to improve the situation for the next time.

HP Recommended

Hi!

I have exactly the same problem..

actuelly, i did removed the hp laserjet 1012 from "Unspecified", unplugged and plugged it usb...but nothing really happened..it's still back in the "unspecified"and i tried to send a word document to print...doesn't work

can you tell me more about how did you resolve this problem? ( step by step pls..i just brought this computer and the printer is been running for quite a few years now)

Thank you a million times!

🙂

HP Recommended

I finally found a easy solution that worked for me.  I tried every other solution, none worked after the lastest Windows 10 update this November.  Go to Youtube for the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGFoxwLrXEE

Go to settings, then printer and devices, then: add printer, then the printer I want isn't listed, then install local printer, then change printer port under dropdown menu to DOT4_001, then hit next. Click the Windows Update box to refresh printer selections.  When refreshed hit HP, & select laserjet 3055 PCL5 microsoft, hit install.  then you can change the name to laserjet 1012.  Works perfectly!

HP Recommended

yes that solution in the youtube works but often I have to restart my PC, to get it working again.

This workaround does not seem to be stable. That's typical with workarounds.

I need a more solid solution.

D.

HP Recommended

The easiest way to install HP LaserJet 1012 on Windows 10

See youtube tutorial link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGFoxwLrXEE

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.