Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello!

I have this printer for a while now, but since I've bought it, I had issues with it.

Now, that I succeded making it work both wired and wireless, after updating it's firmware and reinstalling everything again, it works like a charm, untill it goes to sleep mode.

After going to sleep, it's not that it just doesn't wake up at all, but also doesn't print anything untill I hard restart it (by pressing on/off button) a few times.

I am using MacBook Air with OS X Yosemite.

Thanks in advance,

Milan

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hey @milanlepic,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I understand that you're experiencing sleep mode issues with your HP LaserJet Pro CP1025nw Color Printer. I would like to assist you today with resolving this issue. Just so you are aware, there are a few variables that can cause sleep mode issues: power, network, programming. I'm going to first run you through some steps to ensure that power is not causing this issue.

Step 1: Check Power:

Ensure that the power cable for your printer is plugged directly into a wall outlet. Power strips and surge protectors can cause printers to lack power and not perform properly. To ensure that lack of power is not causing the printer to not wake up from sleep mode please plug it directly into a wall outlet.

Allow the printer to fall asleep and test printing again to verify if the printer wakes up and prints for you. Should the issue persist please proceed to the next step.

Step 2: Power Reset:

1. With the printer powered on, disconnect the power cable from the rear of the printer
  2. Leave the power cable disconnected for 60 seconds
  3. Plug the power cable back into the printer (ensure that the other end is going direct to a wall outlet)
  4. The printer should turn back on on its own

Once the printer returns to its ready state, allow the printer to fall asleep and test printing again to see if it wakes up.

If neither of these steps resolve you issue than it may be your wireless router that could be causing the printer not to wake up.  When the print command gets sent from the computer to your wireless printer it passes through the router first. Then it's up to the router to send the command to the printer to wake up and print. To ensure that your router is not causing this issue it would be best to test the printer through a USB Cable connection.

Step 3: Test USB Connection:

You would need to disable the wireless feature on the printer when you test the USB Cable functionality. I know that this may be a burden to you as you experienced issues with configuring your printer from the start. However, this one step would let us know with 100% what is causing this sleep mode issue.

1. At the product control panel, press and release the Wireless button ().
  2. The blue wireless light on your printer should now turn off.

Ensure that your USB Cable is connected to your computer and test printing to make sure this mode of printing is working for you.

Next, wait for the printer to fall asleep and test printing through the USB Cable again. If the printer wakes up, than your router is causing the issue. If the printer fails to wake up, than you're experiencing a programming issue on your printer. Because you're running the latest Firmware Programming version on your product, than a reset will be needed.

Step 4: How to do a Cold Reset:

Untitled.png

1. Turn your printer OFF
  2. Press and hold the GO (Resume button) and Cancel buttons at the same time
  3. Continue to hold down the Go and Cancel buttons while powering on the printer
  4. Once all lights are blinking on the printer, release the Go and Cancel buttons.

Once the printer returns to the ready state, please allow the printer to fall asleep and test printing once more through the USB Cable connection. If the printer wakes up, set the wireless back up on your printer and test printing through wireless once the printer falls asleep to ensure that everything is working.

Please let me know if these steps resolve your sleep mode issue. I look forward to hearing from you. Good luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem (and this printer has been a never ending source of frustration).  I have the same problem whether using wireless or wired Ethernet connection.  Please don't tell me to use USB...I bought this printer so it could be shared on the network without having to leave a workstation on.  The printer is configured with a static IP and has been updated to the latest firmware as of April 27, 2015 (I updated the firmware today and confirmed that the problem still exists).

The printer works fine until it goes to sleep, then it will not respond to pings, a browser cannot connect to it, a print job won't start it, and it will not respond to anything but a power cycle.

HP Recommended
Mine works fine when i turn it on and off, otherwise it won't connect. Apple released hp software update today, mayne it will help.
HP Recommended

Sadly, I'm having this problem from Linux and Windows so I don't think this is an Apple-specific problem; however if the update fixes things, I'd love to hear about it.  Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hello @milanlepic, and welcome to the thread @LogicalDave,

It is crucial to know whether your HP Laserjet works fine over a USB Cable connection only. The reason being is because this will let us know with 100% certainty whether the issue may lie with a router setting or a programming issue within the actual printer. If the printer works fine over a USB Cable connection, than there are settings and ports I can provide you with that need to be adjusted on the router. If the printer fails to wake up from sleep mode while connected over the USB Cable connection, than the issue lies with the printer.

Should the issue occur through both USB and Network connections and the Cold Reset fails to resolve this issue than I would recommend that you both contact our Technical Support queue by phone to explore hardware replacement options.

HP Technical Support can be reached at: 800-474-6836.

If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

HP Worldwide Contact

Please let me know what occurs when trying the USB Cable connection. Best of luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I'll be happy to report on how it performs with a USB connection, but that has nothing to do with the network issue and whether it wakes on USB activity or not will not tell you anything about the network problem as those are complete separate hardware interfaces with independent wake-up mechanisms. 

The fact that the printer will not wake on a *wired* LAN connection tells you it has nothing to do with router settings since the router doesn't get involved in a local workstation sending packets to the printer over Ethernet on the same LAN (the traffic is only going through an Ethernet switch).  As mentioned earlier, when the printer goes to sleep it will no longer respond to pings, http, or lpd requests on the local wired LAN; it's hard to see how this could be anything but a firmware bug.

HP Recommended

USB printing works fine.  Has HP made any progress looking into this issue that clearly affects many users?  I will soon be replacing some older printers; I'd love to buy an HP printer, but I just can't do it if HP is no longer fixing serious defects in their firmware.  Did HP lose all of its good engineers to Agilent/Keysight?

HP Recommended

Hey @LogicalDave,

I checked the Firmware for your HP LaserJet Pro CP1025nw Color Printer and found that the latest version (20150114) was updated July 16th, 2015. This version was originally released March 31, 2014. Here's a direct link that Firmware Update: HP LaserJet Pro CP1025nw Color Printer Firmware Update Utility

Should the issue persist with the latest Firmware please let me know. 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Still awaiting a solution on this. How do I just plain turn off the sleep mode?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.