Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem with my C309a which has had little use in home environment. We still have the original ink cartridges installed! After spending several hours with online support running through a battery of useless tests and re-sets, it was determined that the wireless radio was no good.  They refused to cover under warranty or even provide the replacement part so I could repair.  For a printer that cost me over $300, it is unacceptable to last only a little over a year.  HP must love those since they have had several in the past on other issues such as the bogus alerts that the ink cartridges need to be replaced when plenty of ink still remained.

HP Recommended

My problem was very similar but nothing in my hours of troubleshooting said the wireless radio was not working. The wireless connection was lost & couldn't reconnect and I, too, got the wierd message about a USB cable when one was not attached. I uninstalled then  tried  to reinstall the printer. It got to the configuration stage and said the wireless radio was not working & to call HP Support. I did and as soon as I told the agent this he said it was a hardware problem & could not be fixed. I will say he was nice & he repeated things as needed when I couldn't understand his accent - he was in India.

He offered a "refurbished" 309a & explained it was not a "used" printer, but one that had been sent to stores to be sold & when not sold within a certain amount of time it was sent back to HP, checked out, and was ready for sale again. I pd $289 in August 2010. He/HP offered the refurbished one at $169 + free S&H. For $1 more, I could get a full 2nd year of hardware & software warranty. I decided to take it & hope if any more problems come up, it will be w/in the 2 yr period. (I checked and the 309a is still selling for about $299.)

His supervisor also talked to me & I told both of them about the posts I had found online about the wireless radion issue and how it seems to be happening to be happening to many people soon after the warranty is up. The sup said HP would be working on the issue.

Sorry this is so long, but wanted to let you know about my experience. I hope this helps someone.

HP Recommended
Visitor
barnettg
Re: c309a wireless radio not functioning  - Solved 
09-01-2010 10:43 PM

Finally got through to tech support and a kind person who finally understood the problem. I mentioned that the Wireless Network Test Report clearly says "The Wireless Radio . . .

Yours must have been in warranty! Good for you. See earlier post tonight for my experience, if interested. Mine was 4 mos out of warranty.

HP Recommended

djsomers wrote:

Visitor
barnettg
Re: c309a wireless radio not functioning  - Solved 
09-01-2010 10:43 PM

Finally got through to tech support and a kind person who finally understood the problem. I mentioned that the Wireless Network Test Report clearly says "The Wireless Radio . . .

Yours must have been in warranty! Good for you. See earlier post tonight for my experience, if interested. Mine was 4 mos out of warranty.

May I ask how the problem was resolved?? I would love to know.  Thanks

HP Recommended

If your router is close to your printer, and your wireless radio is not working, use the etherent cable to link the printer to the router and everything should work well. I did this yesterda a..m., and my printer works fine now, just not "wireless". I tried to cancel the upgrade HP is sending me & they sd they cancelled it, but it shipped anyway. (See my earlier post on 12-20 about this and the deal they offered.) Now, I need to decide whether or not to keep the new printer. I don't print that mcuh but when I do I don't want any hassles!

Good luck with yours.

HP Recommended

I uninstalled program for HP Photosmart 309a  to see if that was a solution to why wireless connection failed.   At reinstall I get the message  contact HP support, radio is not functioning.

I tried all of the resets at the printer.   Turning off radio, etc   Nothing works.  Printer is 14 months old.  So after reading this site posts, I have  concluded this is a bad product.  

Any other thoughts 

HP Recommended

I got the same Message TODAY! and my 1yr warranty expired 12-5-10  Spent a good 2hrs trying to figure it out....

ANYTHING!???

HP Recommended

I just want to add another voice to this.  my 309a wireless radio is also not functioning.  I have owned other hp printers and lap tops and it looks like this will be the last hp product.  No help from hp and this thing is not working, and for the price it should work longer than 13 months.  I want to thank everyone in this thread for the information on troubleshooting.  I am not using a mac. but have similiar errors.  the USB device error, wireless radio not working, and it happeded after a power outage, and I have the printer protected by a surge protector.  This sounds like an HP design or manfacture problem.  I wonder who, other than hp you report a problem like this to.  It sounds like a defective product to me!!!!

HP Recommended

I've had the exact same problem.  2 months past warranty and no longer detects the wireless router. I'm filing a complaint with the BBB now...  Agreed - never an HP again...

HP Recommended

worked great hp could not even fix this worked and i finally got my printer back on wirless thnak you again. gave +rep

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.