Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Laserjet MFPM227fdw G3Q75A
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I continue to get the message that there is a paper jam in the cartridge area, though I can find no jammed paper. (On my computer screen, every time I turn on the computer there is a message that there is a paper jam in the "fuser area." I don't even know where that is and there are no instructions on the HP web site for clearing it.) There was, originally, one piece of paper that had advanced an inch or so in the paper tray and stopped. I removed it, but the error message has continued to appear.

I have followed reset directions, plugging the printer into the wall, unplugging both ends 2-3 minutes, removing the cartridge, discharging by holding down the on button for 30 seconds, putting it all back together, and turning it on. I get the same message and cannot print. This has been very frustrating. I hope someone can help me. 

I have not changed operating systems or drivers recently and was using the printer wirelessly. 

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@PEIRCE-100

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, 

Sometimes a paper jam error persists even though there is no jammed paper (false paper jam). Resetting the printer might clear the error.

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the printer.

2. Unplug the power cord from the power source.

3. Wait 60 seconds.

4. Reconnect the power cord to a wall outlet and to the printer.

If the issue persists, follow the next steps from this link: Paper Jam Error

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have already tried unplugging both ends of the cord. That did not help. When I clicked on your link I was offered either warranty help (but my warrenty has expired) or an option to sign up for help for 2 years ($45) or 3 years ($60). Should I enroll in one of those or do you have further advice?

HP Recommended

@PEIRCE-100

Thank you for posting back. 

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now.

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

False paper jam messages are clearly a common malfunction of HP's current printers. I have been reading many discussions of the problem. I have been purchasing and using printers since 1985 and have never encountered such a situation. This "support community" is clearly a means of transferring dissatisfied customers to a complicated website where customers can spend their time writing emails, trying different fixes on their own time, and getting nowhere.  Fortunately, I have a second printer in the house, but it is an InkJet, so more expensive to run, so I look forward to a solution to the problem of this LaserJet.  I am unhappy that this process does not respect my time. I do not post back immediately because I have too much else to do. (I notice that the "community forum" has ended up having to have HP employees try to deal with failures of the company's poorly made products. However your "limited support boundaries" do not allow these employees to offer any beyond the most basic suggestions for solving the problems. In other words, you want me to pay to fix the printer that has malfunctioned due to an inherent glitch.) You sent me to the site www.hp.com/contacthp before. It sent me right to your "out of warranty options" page. You didn't reply when I told you my options. They seem to be $45 for 2 years support or $60 for three years. I think choosing one of these options is necessary for further help. Sorry you are stuck in a system that is responding to the complaints of customers who are dealing with poorly made products. 

HP Recommended

@PEIRCE-100

Thank you for posting back. 

We are in your corner. 
I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. I shall await a private message. Will it be in this system or as an email?

Pam Peirce

HP Recommended

Echo_Lake, you are a life-saver!  I tried for 90 minutes to figure out why I could open the cartridge access door and I finally read your message and it worked!!  THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!  😄

HP Recommended

On July 16, you told me to expect a private message. Now it Is July 21 and I have yet to receive a private or any other kind of new message. My non-functioning printer is still on a card table in the middle of the living room of our small house, and I still await instructions for the next steps in trying to solve the false paper jam issue.

HP Recommended

It Is now July 27th. On July 16th you said I would get a private message that will help with my false paper jam message. I have not received it. I am not pleased with the service, or lack of it, I have been offered. I know HP would like purchasers to buy extended insurance rather than by making printers that will remain trouble-free for a longer period. I am about to capitulate and purchase that extended coverage, but I want to say that I deplore HP's business decision. This is an ongoing struggle between producers of products and consumers. When products are designed to fail early, it is the environment that pays, in the form of increased plastic and other materials thrown away, wasted. Looked at from a broad perspective, rather than from the narrow perspective of earning a profit for a business, this is unsustainable.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.