Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
c4580
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi   I have a c4580 printer   and until a week ago  it was connected and working well on a win xp pc

now the xp pc is unwell  i have installed the  c4580 on a win 7 64 bit pc  and it is doing some strange things .

(the c4580 (c4500) software came from HP site/s

(it is connected via usb lead only...as far as i can tell )

I have removed the c4580 (c4500) driver software ...reinstalled new driver from HP (many times )  and still the printer is doing strange things   only printing  the top approx 6cm of text..may sometimes be more ..some times less than 6cm ??

And sometimes it will only print page 1 of X

( I have even tried to print off a word docu that was saved on a pen-drive  and on that occaision  it only printed the top 1cm 😞

i downloaded the HP Dr  printer  software and it did its test  thing  and printed a test page  sheet      with 1/2 of the page missing 

test page  should have a full page but mine does not  (the  HP printer Dr sofware told me that my printer cartridge was poss at fault ????????

My test page looks like this .......

3 x lines of "ABCDE2 etc  blue box  pink box  yellow box  then the image  / lines under the coloured boxes are mostly missing !

I have been trying to cure this printer problem  BUT i am not computer savvy  (I have a pile of A4 ruined paper   my ink cartridge has used a lot of its ink !!      and I have been pulling my hair out !! )

as i said I am not pc savvy  so if you do get me to try things..please try to tell me ..in a way  so i can understand

Please can you  help me ?

thank you 🙂

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi! @ken_is_fed_up, Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Don't worry I'd like to help you out. Let me ask you a few questions in order to assist you better.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

Have you tried checking with a different ink cartridge?

Does the issue persist when you make a copy from the printer?

Are you using HP genuine ink cartridges?

Let's continue with the troubleshooting steps now.

Replace low, empty or faulty ink cartridges on the printer.

Check the print settings

Follow these steps to check the print setting.

1. In the software program you are trying to print from, click File, and then click Print. The Print dialog box opens.

2. Make sure that your product is selected, and then click Preferences. The Preferences dialog box opens.

3. Click the Paper/Quality tab.

• Print quality: If you are unhappy with the quality of your printouts, increase the print quality. To print faster, decrease the print quality.

• Paper Options – Type is: Click the drop-down box under Type is. If one of the options matches your paper type exactly, select it rather than Automatic.

• Paper Options – Size is: Make sure that the size displayed matches your paper size.

• Print All Text as Black: Prints all text characters as black, regardless of the document color settings for text.

Run the clean print cartridges utility

1. Press the Setup button.

2. Press the down arrow key.

3. Select Clean Print Cartridge and then press OK. The device prints a test page.

4. Examine the test page. If the print quality of the page is good, stop here. If the print quality is bad, go on to the next step for further cleaning.

5. Open the Printer Toolbox. There are two ways to do this:

• Open HP Solution Center, select the Settings menu, then the Print Settings submenu, and finally the Printer Toolbox.

• Open Printers and Faxes in the Windows Control Panel, then right-click your printer icon and choose Properties. Click Printing Preferences. Click the Features tab, then click the Printer Services button.

6. The Printer Toolbox opens. On the Device Services tab, click Clean the Print Cartridges, then follow the on-screen instructions. Up to three levels of cleaning are available. Discard or recycle the page that prints.

7. Try the print job again.

Also, Uninstall the printer from root level on your PC and install the full feature printer software.

In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.

Select your HP printer.

Select Uninstall.

In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.

In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”

Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.

Type printui.exe /s and click OK.

Click on Drivers tab.

Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click remove at the bottom.

Select OK.

Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.

Close Devices and Printers.

Update the full feature printer software using this link. Click Here

If the issue still persists try updating the drivers using window built-in drivers.

Refer this article to know more information about using windows built-in drivers.

Please let me know the outcome!
Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi

thankyou for your suggestions 🙂

it is not a printer ink problem  (the pc Dr program ..was clutching at straws )  due to the quantity of ink and paper wasted trying to figure out why the printer was having a bad day ...  and   I have already tried new ink/s  
(it worked perfectly with Win XP & HP (for xp) software ?)

I was thinking about removing the software from the root level   (i have tried to reload the full software from HP many times )   which i will try  soon when i feel a bit better (major health problems 😞

what i will try first is a new HDD and a fresh win 7 &  HP printer software  install  ...see what that does ?

if it then works ok ...I know i am on the correct curing path   🙂

if not  ?  i will try to figure it out 🙂

when i figure it out   i will post results   to help others

bye for now
HP Recommended

@ken_is_fed_up, thanks for your response again.

Before you replace the hard drive. You can try creating a new user account and install the full feature printer software.

Refer this article to know more information about managing user account. Click Here

Hope this helps! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi

I downloaded the driver from the HP site 

HP   c4500        ver  13.1.0 file size  182.0 MB release date  Oct 20, 2009           for     win 7  64 bit

...I thought i was using the "full Driver"  ?       

Mine is c4580   and every time i input this model number  ...i was directed to the HP C4500 driver ??

is there actually a full / basic  C4580 driver ??

HP Recommended

@ken_is_fed_up

Yes, There are full feature drivers available for the printer.

And I have shared the full feature printer software in my previous post.

You can install the full feature printer software using this link. Click Here

Also, C4500 series driver should work on C4580 printer.

Let me know if this helps!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi  

well I updated the printer driver (by adding  14.0   and i was impressed ... but the being impressed bit did not last long

(when i dowloaded and installed th 14.0 software from th HP site  and it worked  I thought  .. ok 🙂

but not printing for a few days  guess what happened ...   it has reverted back to the printing only a fraction of a page  and printing only on 1 x sheet of paper out of say 3  (1/3)  .........................   WHY ??

q1  is there a reason for the above  as i am at a loss   (I have never been SO Messed around by   printer software  😞    ??

as stated in the beginning  this printer on xp worked  NO PROBLEMS   so why on win 7 64b it  does it NOT WORK ???

can someone from HP answer this as stated  above ?    and     give me a long term way of getting this software to work ?

HP Recommended

@ken_is_fed_up

As you still have issues after trying out the steps.

As we have exhausted with all the steps. Please try performing a semi-full reset on the printer and check if it helps.

Since the steps to perform a semi-full reset is confidential and dedicated to your printer.

I will share the steps through a private message.

Please watch your inbox for more information.

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP C4500 (C4508)        win 7 64 bit     

Using    "A4 printing   page size   for UK ! "

(the printer  was originally  used on a XP pc  with its own XP printer driver software and the print had NO problems at all ...then  my xp pc croaked   so i then tried to install the c4500 / c4580 downloaded software on a win 7 64 bit pc ....

problems in win 7 64 bit

printed a A4 page  .. the header and a few cm of text was there.. missing rest of page text    ?

tried to print multiple  A4 pages     most of the time  it printed 1 x page  (with 3/4 page text missing )  and no other pages ?

sometimes would not print at all ?

HP photosmart c4500 all-in-one driver software

Download

PS_AIO_04_C4500_USW_Full_Win_WW_130_140.exe

(182.0 MB)

182.0 MB

Oct 20, 2009

and make sure you save your download somewhere , where you can find it later !

Then scroll down to UPDATE (4)

Download

Also

HP Software Service Pack

208.3 MB

May 10, 2011

and make sure you save your download somewhere , where you can find it later !

On your Keyboard   " windows button" and "R" 

and then  type  " printui.exe /s"           (there is a space after .exe and before /s )

Press "OK"     

Select "Driver" tab

Highlight   "HP Photosmart C4500 series "  

and select Remove   

then Press "OK"

then  select the windows icon   on your keyboard / monitor screen  bottom left hand corner

Select  "Control Panel"               

Programs  "Uninstall Programs"   and look for any remaining HP software

(if some are left    ...right hand mouse click  "Unistall / Change "

when all HP software has been "Erased"     " shut down the pc" 

After a few Seconds ... Re-start you PC and let it finish starting up !

1st Program you downloaded 

PS_AIO_04_C4500_USW_Full_Win_WW_130_140.exe

(182.0 MB)

182.0 MB

Oct 20, 2009

Open it and let the software fully Load !

(it may ask you to attach / connect the Printer  ..I did it on mine )

When it has finished Installing FULLY    "Shut the  PC Down "

After a few Seconds ... Re-start you PC and let it finish starting up !

For UK   we use A4 paper size ...  if you use Inches.. ignore this section !

A4 set up !

Select the

" windows icon"   on your keyboard / monitor screen  bottom left hand corner

Select  " Devices and Printers"      and you should see a image of a printer

listed as  "  HP photosmart c4500 Series "

Right hand  Mouse click  and select  " Printing Preferences "  

then select "Printing Shortcuts "

Look for "Paper Size    if it says "8.27 x 11.69  INCHES"        then select

" A4 210 x 297 mm"    and " press ok "

(Opional ...  On your Keyboard   " windows button" and "R" 

and then  type  " printui.exe /s"           (there is a space after .exe and before /s )

Press "OK"     

Select "Forms"   tab   then    scoll down the " Form on"   and select " A4"    press ok )

MS Word page / screen      

Select  "File"    then  "page set up  "

"Paper tab "    then  " Paper size "    select  " A4 210 x 297 mm"    the press OK

I also did this on mine ...  On the keyboard   "windows and R "  

( Optional ?    Select  "Features  Tab"   then click    " Scale to paper size "  

then press Ok) 

Shut Pc down   after a couple of seconds       re-start the PC  and let it fully load

(Recheck the A4 paper setting as listed above   to make sure they have been saved ? )

Find and   open

2nd Program you downloaded 

HP Software Service Pack

208.3 MB

May 10, 2011

let it fully load

It may ask if you wish to print a " test page ! "    I did  but the test page was missing the text after  "Congratulations ! "  dont worry   ! 

when it has finished the above  ... shut down the pc    wait a few seconds     re-start  pc and let it fully load / start  up !!

and then try  a

full text   page print                OK

Multiple page full text print               OK

a day later  ( I turned on the printer ) and back to the problems as above !

(and i did not change any printer setting from the day it worked to the day it reverted back to faulty print )

O' crap !

I left the pc on for HP update to appear .. and it did ..  it found 3 x updates  (2 x were no relation to my problem )  1 x was     downloaded .. power down a few times the print   still faulty !

so  i thought about it and :

printer is dumb  ..  it only accepts print info (ie  word text) and the printer is sent possible small amounts of data via the pc ??

the printer worked with XP  software and XP pc    No problems ever !

so printer and usb cable are ok !!

so problem lies with the win 7 software or Hp printer software  ??

so i powered down the pc (win 7)  and I pulled out the usb lead  and put in another hole / usb slot  and powered on the pc !

Pressed PRINT !   and it worked ?  full page print !

I also tried it the next day  and it still worked !

I had already checked pc  software that the printer was correctly configured

WHY ????????

it is now under test    !

Thankyou to all the people who have helped me 🙂

HP Recommended

Ok  here we go again !

About 1 - 2 weeks it worked ok .....But then  it reverted back to not printing as stated originally !

so I ordered a NEW printer (pc to USB ) lead       and I made sure it had ....

description of the lead i ordered .....

pc to printer lead    WITH 2 x interference reducing Bead / chokes ...one on each end ..

these chokes look like small black drums  .. that the printer cable fits THROUGH !

(the Bead / this is a similar picturethis is a similar picturechokes are made with   "ferrite" ..and  the cable runs / feeds through the center ...(the black bit is a type of plastic coating that keeks the fragile ferrite from being dropped / broken )

so far so good !

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.