Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
C510a
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I just bought a new Dell 7710 laptop running Windows 7.  When I attempt to install the driver software for my HP C510a printer, the install does a system check and tells me I have no USB ports, and the option the installation routine provides is to abort the install.  I have 4 USB 3.0 ports, all of which work just fine with every other USB device I have plugged into them.  I have downloaded the most recent version of the C510a driver software and still have the same problem.  I really don't even need the USB ports for the printer because I connect to it via my WiFi network.  I have run HP diagnostics to try to identify the problem, and they can find the printer and identify it over the WiFi network, and they also recognized the USB ports.   But the C510a software stilll can't find the USB ports and refuses to load. 

How do I get  HP to fix their driver software for a product which is not current, but still prints as well as ever?  It is also kind of dumb to require the presence of a port that is not needed to connect to the printer.  If I have to replace theis printer to be able to print from this computer, the replacement will definitely not be another HP.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi.

From within File Explorer type %temp% into the address bar and press Enter.

Locate the latest HP installation file which begins with 7Z (e.g. 7zs1234)

Open the Setup folder.

Locate the usbready.exe file and rename it into usbready.old

Browse one level up and double click on Setup.exe, now follow the installation and check for any difference.

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi.

From within File Explorer type %temp% into the address bar and press Enter.

Locate the latest HP installation file which begins with 7Z (e.g. 7zs1234)

Open the Setup folder.

Locate the usbready.exe file and rename it into usbready.old

Browse one level up and double click on Setup.exe, now follow the installation and check for any difference.

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thank you!!!  Your solution worked perfectly and and ended much frustration.

HP Recommended

Had exactly same problem, after building new pc running Windows 7 Ultimate.  Could not install my HP C510a Photosmart eStation all-in-one printer, although having lots of fully working USB 2, 3 and 3.1 connections.

Used many hours, and countless tries, to make installation work...  And with your advise all succeded in few minutes !

Brilliant !  Thank you so much for taking time to give workable solution.  A real hero 😉

HP Recommended

I renamed the usbready.exe file as suggested and it did make the USB error messages go away and allowed the software installation to continue, but it still doesn't work.  It does not recognize that the printer is connected to the USB port and turned on, and it cannot find the printer at the IP address that is assigned to the printer.  The HP Solution Center software cannot find the printer,  even though I have no problems using the printer for any other applications.  If the Solution Center doesn't work, the only other means I have of running maintenance and diagnostic routines on the printer is the Zeen control panel, and it is a pretty flakey device.  If the Zeen goes belly up, the first time I have to clean the heads or do an alignment, the printer becomes a paperweight.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.