Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Can't connect HP Laserjet 1606 dn via USB to my HP laptop 2022.  I tried downloading the printer driver, but it doesn't help.  The printer only has a USB cord. Help.  🙂

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @whtheater,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds frustrating to deal with connectivity issues between your printer and laptop. Here are a few steps you can try to resolve the issue with your HP LaserJet 1606dn printer:

Check the USB Cable and Port

• Ensure that the USB cable is securely connected to both the printer and the laptop. Try a different USB port on your laptop to rule out the possibility of a faulty port.
  • If possible, test the USB cable with another device to ensure the cable is working properly.

Reinstall the Printer Driver

• Uninstall the printer driver that you previously installed. You can do this through the 'Programs and Features' section in the Control Panel.
  • Visit the HP official website and download the latest driver for your specific printer model and your operating system version. Ensure the driver matches your laptop's operating system (e.g., Windows 10, 11).
  • Install the downloaded driver and restart your laptop.

Reset the Printer

• Turn off the printer, unplug it from the power source, and wait for about a minute.
  • Reconnect the printer to the power source, turn it on, and then reconnect the USB cable.

Check Printer Settings in Windows

• Go to 'Settings' > 'Devices' > 'Printers & scanners'. See if your printer is listed. If it is, try removing it by clicking on it and selecting 'Remove device'.
  • After removing it, try adding it again by selecting 'Add a printer or scanner'. If Windows detects the printer, follow the prompts to set it up.

Troubleshoot Using Windows

• Use the Windows troubleshooter for printers. Go to 'Settings' > 'Update & Security' > 'Troubleshoot'. Select 'Additional troubleshooters' and then 'Printer'. Run the troubleshooter and follow any recommended steps.

Check for Windows Updates

• Sometimes, recent updates might include fixes for peripheral connectivity issues. Check for updates by going to 'Settings' > 'Update & Security' > 'Windows Update' and click 'Check for updates'.

Try on Another Computer

• If possible, try connecting the printer to another computer. This can help determine if the issue is with the printer or your laptop.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.