Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M283cdw

I am not able to connect the printer to my laptop to scan and not allowing me to send the document to my email. i need thelp to set this up.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Sdavis0707 ,

Welcome to The HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

I understand there are two main ways to connect your HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M283cdw to your laptop for scanning and emailing:

1. Using Wi-Fi and HP Smart App:

This is the recommended method by HP. Here's what you need to do:

• Download and install the HP Smart app from the Microsoft Store or https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_1716406-1413451-16.
  • Make sure your laptop is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as the printer.
  • Open the HP Smart app and follow the on-screen instructions to connect your printer. This will involve setting up the Wi-Fi connection on the printer itself and installing the necessary drivers on your laptop.
  • Once connected, you can use the HP Smart app to scan documents and send them directly to your email.

2. Using a USB Cable (Limited Functionality):

While HP recommends using Wi-Fi, you can also connect the printer to your laptop using a USB cable. However, this method has limitations. You won't be able to use all the features of the printer, such as remote scanning or automatic updates.

Here's how to connect with a USB cable:

• Important: HP advises against connecting the USB cable during initial setup. Only proceed if Wi-Fi setup fails.
  • Turn on the printer and your laptop.
  • Connect the USB cable to the printer's Hi-Speed USB port and an available USB port on your laptop.
  • Your laptop might automatically detect the printer and install the necessary drivers. If not, you might need to download them from the HP website https://support.hp.com/us-en.

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Take care and have a good day.
Gaya1239 – HP Support.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.