Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 2600
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have been trying to set this printer up so that it connects wirelessly through my existing wireless network. The setup software finds my printer and is able to establish a connection, except that rather than connecting through my existing network connection it establishes a new network connection of its own. And, it doesn't allow me to connect to both network connections simultaneously. The result is that I have to log out of my wireless Internet connection and then connect through the HP printer connection in order to print anything. Since I'm not connected to the Internet when I go to print, I cannot print directly from the Internet to the printer. It's one or the other, but not both simulatneously.

How can I connect to this printer through my existing wifi connection so I can be connected to the printer at the same time that I am connected to the Internet?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Page 65 of the User Guide... I read and fount it.

To turn Wi-Fi Direct on or off
On the printer control panel, press and hold the Wireless button ( ) and the Resume button ( )
together for three seconds.

● When Wi-Fi Direct is turned on, the Wi-Fi Direct icon on the display stays on. To find the Wi-Fi Direct
name and password, press the Information button ( ) to print a printer information page.
NOTE: When you turn on Wi-Fi Direct the first time, the printer automatically prints a Wi-Fi Direct
guide. The guide provides instructions about how to use Wi-Fi Direct. After that, you can press the
Information button ( ) and the Resume button ( ) together to print the Wi-Fi Direct guide. The
guide may not be available in all languages.

● When Wi-Fi Direct is turned off, the Wi-Fi Direct icon on the display is off.
● For more information about the Wi-Fi Direct icon status, see Control panel display icons on page 6.

Connect your printer to your router...  page 62

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

You need to turn off and disable Wireless Direct in the printer.  Now connect your printers Wireless Radio to your routers SSID with password.  Done.

HP Recommended

What do you mean by "turn off and disable Wireless Direct in the printer." By "in the printer" do you mean somewhere inside the printer itself? How do I do that?

And, where do I find my printer's "Wireless Radio"? What is a printer wireless radio?

Thank you for your help.

HP Recommended

The best thing to do is download and read the User Guide for all information to see how to do all of this.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-deskjet-2600-all-in-one-printer-series/12319824/manuals

This is your full support page for installation and troubleshooting also. 

HP Recommended

I have already downloaded and read the user guide.  Nowhere in the documentation does it tell me how to turn off and disable Wireless Direct. I'm not new to computers and printers - I've been using them since 1987. What I truly dislike is documentation that doesn't clearly explain things - like this user guide.

Thanks for trying.

HP Recommended

Page 65 of the User Guide... I read and fount it.

To turn Wi-Fi Direct on or off
On the printer control panel, press and hold the Wireless button ( ) and the Resume button ( )
together for three seconds.

● When Wi-Fi Direct is turned on, the Wi-Fi Direct icon on the display stays on. To find the Wi-Fi Direct
name and password, press the Information button ( ) to print a printer information page.
NOTE: When you turn on Wi-Fi Direct the first time, the printer automatically prints a Wi-Fi Direct
guide. The guide provides instructions about how to use Wi-Fi Direct. After that, you can press the
Information button ( ) and the Resume button ( ) together to print the Wi-Fi Direct guide. The
guide may not be available in all languages.

● When Wi-Fi Direct is turned off, the Wi-Fi Direct icon on the display is off.
● For more information about the Wi-Fi Direct icon status, see Control panel display icons on page 6.

Connect your printer to your router...  page 62

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.