Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have an error 79 with a relatively new MFP M234dw printer. I’ve tried unplugging it several times and can confirm that it is plugged directly into an outlet. Any help is appreciated. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @AKahl,

Welcome to The HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

I understand you are getting an Error 79 on an HP LaserJet printer typically indicates a firmware issue. 

Here's a step-by-step guide to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the problem:

• Power Cycle: You've already tried this, but it's worth mentioning again. Turn off the printer, unplug it from the power source, wait for about 30 seconds, then plug it back in and turn it on. Sometimes, this simple step can resolve temporary firmware glitches.
  • Update Firmware: Visit the HP support website and check if there's a firmware update available for your printer model. Download and install the latest firmware following the instructions provided by HP. Firmware updates often include bug fixes that can resolve error messages like Error 79. Update the firmware on an HP printer
  • Reset Printer: Perform a factory reset on your printer. This will revert all settings to their default values. To do this, find the reset button on your printer (usually located near the network ports or on the back panel), press and hold it for about 10 seconds until the printer restarts.
  • Check Connections: Ensure that all cables and connections are secure and properly connected. Sometimes, loose connections can cause communication errors between the printer and the computer or network.
  • Remove Additional Devices: Disconnect any additional devices (such as USB drives or memory cards) that are plugged into the printer. These devices can sometimes interfere with the printer's operation and cause errors.
  • Network Issues: If your printer is connected to a network, check the network settings and ensure that the printer has a stable connection to the network. You may need to restart your router or troubleshoot network issues if necessary.

Refer to this document: HP LaserJet MFP M234dw Printer User manual
HP LaserJet Pro - 79 Errors

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Take care and have a good day.
Gaya1239 – HP Support.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.