Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet 6983
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone,

I have a 2006 HP DeskJet 6983 printer and a 2018 HP laptop on Win 10. Both devices are fully operational.

The problem is that Win 10 on my laptop detects the printer but doesn't offer it for selection e.g when printing an image (sorry for the Russian interface).

Image 1.png

Image 2.png

Thus, the standard MS driver doesn't fully cope with HP specifics.

I've tried all the solutions offered by HP:
Installing the driver from OS 
Using e-Print 
Using Print and Scan Doctor 

All methods redirect me to installing driver from OS (which doesn't work).
I would be grate**bleep** for any hack or workaround that helps me to avoid from setting up a Win XP virtual machine to use my printer.

Any suggestions, please? 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @weblvmer ,

Try to Add the printer from Control Panel > Printers > Add Printer

Select the option for USB connection and in the Manufacturer and Printer window select:

HP  and Deskjet PCL3 Class driver

Something like the next window:

• HP Deskjet PCL3 agregar.                     ferRX

Click on Next button to continue the installation.

* Click on YES option  to say thanks, 

* Click on the button Accepted Solution if the question is answered.

Best regards, 

ferRX.

dodecaedron

@ferRX / I am a volunteer posting answers on my own time.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.