Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Photo 7864 All-in-One Printer

My OS is Sonoma 14.4.1

Since the last update I can't fax with my HP Envy Photo 7864.  I usually fax directly from my iMac pdf files but it won't accept them although I can print from the pdf and pages files.

When trying to send direct from pdf on computer nothing happens at all, not even in the queue.

When faxing from the printer it rings through but says it's not connecting."Communication problem. The fax can not be sent" is the error message. Keeps repeating.

I tried to reset and it didn't do anything. Maybe the video on youtube was wrong (not HP video)?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @tierra93,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like you're experiencing some frustrating issues with your HP Envy Photo 7864 faxing functionality. Let's troubleshoot this together.

Check Fax Settings: Ensure that the fax settings on your HP Envy Photo 7864 are correctly configured. Check the fax number, country/region settings, and any other relevant settings.

Verify Fax Line: Make sure that the phone line connected to your HP Envy Photo 7864 is working properly. Test it by making a phone call to verify that there's a dial tone and that you can hear each other clearly.

Update Firmware: Sometimes, firmware updates can fix compatibility issues. Check if there are any firmware updates available for your HP Envy Photo 7864 and install them if necessary.

Restart Devices: Restart both your iMac and your HP Envy Photo 7864. Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve connectivity issues.

Test with Different File Types: Try faxing from your iMac using different file formats, such as plain text files or images, to see if the issue is specific to PDF files.

Check Fax Preferences on iMac: Ensure that the fax preferences on your iMac are correctly set up. Check if the correct printer is selected and if the fax settings are configured properly.

Verify Fax Compatibility: Confirm that your iMac's operating system, Sonoma 14.4.1, is compatible with the faxing feature of your HP Envy Photo 7864.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I had done all you requested multiple times before posting, except downloading the firmware as I don't know how on iMac (new to iMac).  It's the only printer and I always check the HP smart to be sure it's picking up the printer.  I can print and scan, just not fax, either from the printer or from the iMac.

HP Recommended

Hi @tierra93 ,

We are sorry that the issue is not resolved when the above troubleshooting steps were performed.

Unfortunately, there are no further actions we can take through this channel. I recommend reaching out to our phone support for further assistance.

1. Click on this link -  https://support.hp.com/us-en

2. Select the country.

3. Enter the serial number of your device.

4. Select the country from the drop-down.

5. Click on "Show Options".

6. Fill out the web form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance.

Have a great day!

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

BTW the firmware was already updated

There is no country in the link you sent.  In fact, I can't find the webform at all.  Is it because my warranty is up?

HP Recommended

No show options either

HP Recommended

Hi Rachel,

Why did you repeat send the first email.  I've done all that but not 

As I've stated before I've tried all that and the firmware is up to date.  

None of it works and it's only been this way since the last update.  So thinking maybe a bug in the last update.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.