Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 3830

I was wondering if anyone else has found a solution to this problem.

My OfficeJet 3830 will no longer print color from my HP laptop. It prints in color fine from my chrome book, my phone, and iPad, but not my HP laptop. I've updated both my laptop and printer, I've uninstalled and reinstalled the root drivers and "removed device" multiple times, I've tried the HP doctor thing and it didn't help anything (probably fixed a few other issues but not the color issue. even the test page that it has you print from the doctor thing didn't come out with color.) And of course I've tried simply restarting everything. Yes, there is a full color ink cartridge installed, yes I am selecting "color" not "grayscale." Something to note on that, I don't get the option from the system dialog printing screen to change the color setting either, just the media type, size, and quality. I am having this color printing problem on both the system dialogue printing program and the HP Windows print screen that pops up when in a browser. I am honestly at a loss. I would just say screw it and use the chrome book but the software I need to print from for my work doesn't run on chrome OS sadly. Only thing I haven't tried is factory resetting my laptop, but at this point I'm doubtful that would help either mostly because my laptop was pretty recently factory reset (and completely uninstalling the drivers didn't help, which is really what everyone is saying is the root of the issue.) ANYWAYS please let me know if you've had the same issue and what has worked. I've read nearly every forum, article, and post I could find on this and I still have no clue what to do.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello crustycroc,

Here is the solution :

In Windows 11>Settings>Devices>Printers & Scanners click Add a Printer . When The printer that I want isn't listed comes up, click that. Select Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname . Enter the TCP/IP address of your printer and go from there. When you have finished submitting the address, the printer will be installed with the name you supply and the color option will appear when you go to Printer Preferences.

• Click on yes button to say thanks
  • Click on the button Accepted Solution if the question is answered
  • Please contact me to inform me of the resullt

Best regards,

Bernard42.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello crustycroc,

Here is the solution :

In Windows 11>Settings>Devices>Printers & Scanners click Add a Printer . When The printer that I want isn't listed comes up, click that. Select Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname . Enter the TCP/IP address of your printer and go from there. When you have finished submitting the address, the printer will be installed with the name you supply and the color option will appear when you go to Printer Preferences.

• Click on yes button to say thanks
  • Click on the button Accepted Solution if the question is answered
  • Please contact me to inform me of the resullt

Best regards,

Bernard42.
HP Recommended

That worked!!! Thanks so much for your help 🙂 

HP Recommended

Hello crustycroc,

Glad for you that your printer is working again.

Sincerely,

Good day.

Bernard42.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.