Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion

Today, my HP Officejet Pro 9025 ONLY printed in black and white - no color. I have done the following to get the color printing back and none of these items have worked:

1/ turned the printer off and back on

2/ unplugged the original ink cartridges and plugged them back in

3/ replaced the magenta and yellow cartridge with new cartridges since they were low

4/ uninstalled the printer driver and in doing so connected to the printer via Wi-Fi rather than USB and then reinstalled the printer driver

5/ used print and scan doctor, which did nothing to fix the issue

6/ printed a printer status report from the printer which was in black only

Any of the HP printer experts have other ideas on what else to do to restore the color printing?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Greetings!

looks like you have done most of the steps which should help. 

I'd recommend to try and clean printheads. 

On your printers display panel click Setup (Wrench icon) > Tools > Clean Printhead. 

Try it 2-3 times. 

you can also check if the printer settings is not defaulting to printing in grayscale.

1. Open Devices and Printers by clicking the Start button  and then, on the Start menu, clicking Devices and Printers.
  2. Right-click the printer that you want to use, and then click Printing preferences.
  3. Make your choices, and then click OK.
    Under option
     Print in color select color , then the OK button or uncheck 'Print in Grayscale'

you can reference this KB article for some help : https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04355735

or else, you may need to service the printer.

regards

Ronnie

HP Recommended

Ronnie -

Thanks for the reply! Two responses to your reply

1/ To clean the printheads --- I attempted to do that but could not initially find the menu to do so as it was different from what you provided but I eventually found it.

Cleaning 1) The first page of the cleaning at the bottom of the page, the second block was a redish brown block. All of the others were black or lighter shades of black. On the printer display/UI, I got this message, "There is a problem with the supply system. Try replacing the affected cartridge with a different non-empty, cartridge. If message appears again, record message and contact support." The issue with this error message is that the printer did NOT tell me which cartridge was erroring out. The printer hung up on a blue circle with "Cleaning printhead..." under the circle. The printer would not turn off with the power button - either by pressing and releasing or holding it down for 30-60 seconds. After about 5 minutes, I had to unplug it from power to do the next cleaning. After the reboot, there was an orange banner on the printer screen that said, "Supply System Problem" and when I clicked on it, the same message above came up. The orange banner also said "Later" on the right side.

Cleaning 2)  Would not do the second printhead cleaning due to the error encountered in cleaning 1.

Cleaning 3) Did not attempt.

I will save these two test pages so that if you can send me a way to upload them into this thread or send them directly to you, I will scan them and upload or send them.

2/ Printer settings set to gray scale --- as it turns out, this was the VERY first thing I did, I simply forgot to include it. I tried printing in all of the other color modes with no change in the black and white only printing.

Let me know what the next steps are!!!

Thanks!!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.